Welcome To www.LupusMCTD.com
April 19, 2024, 02:52:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baby hope for lupus sufferers  (Read 2465 times)
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« on: February 25, 2007, 11:55:54 am »

Tracey Jones waited seven years for baby Chloe

Two decades ago pregnant women suffering from lupus would have been advised to have a termination.
Scientists found that out of 100 lupus sufferers 30 have an associated condition called "sticky blood", which causes the placenta to wither and the foetus to abort.

Now the future looks brighter for these women thanks to a simple blood test and medical research.

When Tracey and Stephen Jones began trying for their third child they were unprepared the heartache that would follow.

Seven years of disappointment and three miscarriages later, they eventually had a baby girl.

But Tracey, who suffers from "sticky blood" said the ordeal almost ruined her health.

~Rising stress

Her weight ballooned from 11 stone to 16 because of the mounting stress caused by the miscarriages and she was forced to quit her job as a staff nurse at the Royal Liverpool Hospital.

Now a series of simple blood tests will stop families going through the heartache suffered by Tracey and Stephen.

The Jones had their first children Adam and Nicholas without any problems.

But when they decided to try again Tracey miscarried at nine weeks.

"We understood that it happens to one in four women, and we just tried to look to the future.

"Rightly or wrongly I got pregnant again eight weeks later."

But despite a promising start to the pregnancy Tracey miscarried again.

"At that point the doctor said to us that I had been dealt a bad hand of cards. Obviously we were fairly traumatised but there was nothing we could do."

She started to suffer severe panic attacks and needed to take Prozac and have counselling.

After her third miscarriage Tracey, aged 37, said she realised there were serious problems.

~Tests

A series of blood tests at Liverpool Women's Hospital showed she had antiphospholipid syndrome (APS), also known as "sticky blood".

"I'd never heard of it, but the doctors explained that they thought they could help me by regular injections of heparin and HCG - which is a hormone produced by the placenta to keep the body in a state of pregnancy - plus aspirin.

"We decided to give it a final shot as we couldn't keep going through all that trauma much longer."

The family went off to Florida for a break and when they returned Tracey found she was pregnant again.

She immediately put onto a regime of heparin and HCG, but was unable to relax until she hit the 21 week mark.

"I had a scan and we were told it was a baby girl. I rushed out to Mothercare and bought two pink baby-grows."

In September 2000 she gave birth to Chloe.

Dr Siobhan Quenby, a consultant obstetrician at the Liverpool Women's Hospital, said around 15% of women attending her clinic had the condition.

~Diagnosis

She is now carrying out a two-year-study to compare the effects of different doses of heparin and aspirin on the placenta.

Dr Quenby said the prognosis was good once the problem had been diagnosed.

"I have couples in the clinic who have been through this process up to 18 times.

"But we're always very pleased when we can diagnose someone with APS because we have such a good treatment - a cheer goes up around the department. Around 15% of women who attend our clinic have APS."

St Thomas's Hospital Lupus Unit, is also looking into whether a combination of aspirin and warfarin would be more effective in treating thrombosis in APS.

Dr Munther Khmashta said the current treatment for thrombosis in APS is low dose aspirin.

But he hoped his new research would bring many more successful pregnancies.

"Each time a woman with APS gives birth to a healthy baby I share her joy.

"Each baby I've helped to bring into the world is my great prize. The outlook has dramatically changed for the better."

Both studies are funded by the Arthritis Research Campaign.

www.LupusMCTD.com
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 12:00:25 pm by ♥Admin » Logged

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
www.LupusMCTD.com Represents:
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
2) Where HOPE is a WORK In Progress
3) Pay It Forward~Giving Back To The Future Lupus/MCTD Patients
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

© Page Contents, Layout, Graphics and Design All Copyrighted by Credited Artists and are Not Public Domain.

LupusMCTD Founder & Patient
Former Domestic Violence SURVIVOR
Kathy A. Patterson

Author of the Upcoming Memoir Book:
"Fighting From The Inside Out"..
A lupus patient fights the beast within her immune system and the beast at home....

e-Booklet filled with photos and videos of what abuse was, signs to look for,
where to turn to for help, and much more to help others like me...

For more information
Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233)

"The Meaning of the Words in the Second Amendment .... "That the people have a right to freedom of speech, and of writing, and publishing their sentiments;"

PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law
Photobucket
© 2008 LupusMCTD Foundation of America - All Rights Reserved
Est.November 11, 2005
"We Understand What You Are Going Through"™