Welcome To www.LupusMCTD.com
April 20, 2024, 04:04:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Imperfect hearts don't slow down loving family  (Read 2230 times)
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« on: February 14, 2007, 09:45:48 pm »

Cindy Duley of Concord,CA has Lupus sits with her children

Abigal Duley, 2, points at her scar that two heart surgeries have left on her chest.

Imperfect hearts don't slow down loving family

Abigail Duley had her whole heart when she was born, but it was enlarged, and the wrong shape.
She seemed like a normal, chubby baby until she stopped wanting to eat at about 3 months old. Her mother, Cindy, heard her grunting a lot in her crib.

"I thought, gosh, is she a fussy baby or what?" Cindy said at her family's Concord home, her three children busy playing nearby.

At Abigail's six-month checkup, her pediatrician detected a heart murmur. Further testing showed that she had a mitral valve defect, meaning a heart valve wasn'tpumping blood properly, reducing blood supply to the body. She was admitted to the intensive care unit immediately.

Soon Cindy realized her chubby baby was not so chubby after all. Abigail was treated for edema, swelling caused by water getting trapped in the body's tissues due to the heart's failure to pump blood correctly.

Photos from that time show an unhappy-looking baby with a very thin face.

Her condition is rare. About eight in 1,000 newborns have a heart problem, and mitral valve defects are "way down on the list," said Dr. Ziad Saba, Abigail's cardiologist at Children's Hospital Oakland.

Saba and her other physicians hoped to repair the valve in an initial open-heart surgery, performed when she was

10 months old, but it was unsuccessful.

"It's an extremely delicate surgery," Saba said. "We gave it a shot, but unfortunately in Abigail's case it didn't work."

Two months later, surgeons replaced Abigail's valve successfully with a mechanical one in another four-hour open-heart surgery.

The hospital only performs about three to four of these pediatric valve replacements each year.

Five days before Abigail's second surgery, however, Cindy and her husband received more bad news.

Their unborn son, 20 weeks along, was diagnosed with a slow heart beat. Cindy has lupus, an autoimmune disorder, and children born to women with lupus sometimes have this heart condition.

"It was really hard emotionally," Cindy said of having the news come the same week her daughter underwent her second open-heart surgery.

Cindy also has a bicuspid aortic valve, a heart condition affecting 1 to 2 percent of the population. Her eldest child, Madeline, now 5, is perfectly healthy. Abigail's valve defect is unrelated to Cindy's heart condition or lupus, Saba said.

Baby Sam may have to have a pacemaker later to correct the slow heart beat. He is being monitored for fatigue and other symptoms.

Despite everything, the family is doing well today. Sam is now 13months and is happy and healthy. He crawls after his older sisters with a giant smile.

Abigail, now 2years old, must take a blood thinning medication, probably for life, so she has to be careful of cuts and scrapes. The family keeps lots of first aid kits handy. She has a shy smile and idolizes her older sister.

Physicians put in the largest valve possible to reduce chances of Abigail needing a replacement as her heart grows.

"She's like a normal kid, with no fear," her mom said.

-www.LupusMCTD.com-

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
www.LupusMCTD.com Represents:
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
2) Where HOPE is a WORK In Progress
3) Pay It Forward~Giving Back To The Future Lupus/MCTD Patients
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

© Page Contents, Layout, Graphics and Design All Copyrighted by Credited Artists and are Not Public Domain.

LupusMCTD Founder & Patient
Former Domestic Violence SURVIVOR
Kathy A. Patterson

Author of the Upcoming Memoir Book:
"Fighting From The Inside Out"..
A lupus patient fights the beast within her immune system and the beast at home....

e-Booklet filled with photos and videos of what abuse was, signs to look for,
where to turn to for help, and much more to help others like me...

For more information
Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233)

"The Meaning of the Words in the Second Amendment .... "That the people have a right to freedom of speech, and of writing, and publishing their sentiments;"

PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law
Photobucket
© 2008 LupusMCTD Foundation of America - All Rights Reserved
Est.November 11, 2005
"We Understand What You Are Going Through"™