Welcome To www.LupusMCTD.com
March 29, 2024, 09:07:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The gift of love: A husband. A wife. A bad kidney. A happy ending.  (Read 2398 times)
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« on: February 14, 2007, 12:39:21 pm »

TY AND MICHELLE MARTIN: In side-by-side four-hour operations, Ty's right kidney became Michelle's.

The Martins at home

The gift of love: A husband. A wife. A bad kidney. A happy ending.

When he was 16, Ty gave Michelle his heart. When he was 24 and she 23, they married, and started living happily ever after.

Then lupus, a disease that attacks the organs, struck Michelle. She was put on chemotherapy and dialysis and nearly died. For years Ty stuck with her, doing laundry, cleaning house, taking care of her.

At 32, he gave Michelle an even more loving gift. His right kidney. Now the Martins are pregnant, and back at work on their happy ending.

Michelle will talk about Ty for hours.

``He's my hero.''

Ty, a man of few words, sums it up in three.

``I love her.''

Such a Valentine's Day story: They met when she was 15, he 16, both at South Broward High School. She had noticed his ''tiger eyes,'' as she calls them. So when she missed the bus home one day because she'd been in detention for being late, she cornered him for a ride home. And asked for his phone number.

``I was the aggressor; he's so shy.''

Yes, it was love at first sight: ''In the 18 years since, we haven't been apart,'' she says.

It was a typical courtship. They went to each other's senior proms and graduated a year apart. She worked at Burger King, then a yogurt shop, later as a receptionist at a hospital. He worked at Bennigan's. Both got two-year degrees from Broward Community College, both started but didn't finish bachelor's degrees at Florida Atlantic University.

She was 19 when they moved in together, 22 when he proposed on a romantic evening at Vizcaya, 23 when they married.

``We bought our first house when I was 25. We were planning to have a baby. Six months later I got sick.''

At 26, in a routine medical exam, she was stunned to be diagnosed with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), a chronic inflammatory disease in which the body's immune system attacks its own tissues and organs -- creating extreme fatigue, often damaging the kidney.

``I didn't even feel bad. But six months later I was tired, swollen and anemic. I was on chemotherapy, dialysis and steroids. It made my face swell -- I had a lollipop head.''

From 1999 to 2003 she was in and out of work, on and off chemotherapy and dialysis. ``I went to dialysis Monday, Wednesday and Friday for four hours. And you can't do anything before or after because you're too tired.''

Through it all, Ty was there.

'I said, `My God, you're going to leave me.' He said, 'You're crazy.' ''

In March 2003, on her 30th birthday, her doctor delivered even worse news: She needed a new kidney.

Michelle went to the UM/Jackson Transplant Center, but doctors there couldn't put her on their transplant list because her health wasn't up to such an operation.

``If you're too sick, they won't list you.''

From October 2003 to January 2004 she was in Broward hospitals, undergoing three surgeries due to infections -- first Staphylococcus, then its antibiotic-resistant form called MRSA, for Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus.

''I lost my spleen and my large intestine; for a year I had an ileostomy,'' she said. In the ileostomy procedure, part of her intestine was removed and she was given a surgically created opening to empty waste into an external bag.

``I ended up on a ventilator. I was in a medically induced coma for eight weeks. I had 80 transfusions because my blood wouldn't clot.''

She exceeded the $2 million limit on her private health insurance, had to go on Medicare and Medicaid.

Even after release from the Broward hospitals, with her ileostomy reversed, she fought her illness for a year, getting around with a walker, too weak to work. Fighting to get well enough for a transplant, she forced herself to go to the gym, even on dialysis days.

``I had to build myself up.''

In January 2005, Michelle was well enough to get on UM/Jackson's transplant list. Then came the wait. Three times she got the phone call to come in for a potential match, once at 4:30 a.m. All false alarms.

All along, Ty had been offering his own kidney for her. At first doctors rejected him because he had a bit of protein in his urine as well. But finally Ty was cleared. Immediately he was on the phone with the UM/Jackson Transplant Center.

The center put Ty through rigorous tests, a class for transplant donors, even psychological screening to be sure he could handle the pain and danger.

On July 12, 2005, the day before the planned transplant surgery, the hospital called. Another kidney was available.

'I told Ty, `Hey, you don't have to do this.' He said, 'It's my life, too, and we've waited long enough. Even if I were just your friend, knowing what you've gone through, I would want to do it.' ''

In side-by-side four-hour operations, Ty's right kidney became Michelle's.

''They rolled me out of the operating room and woke me up. I was such a veteran that I immediately said, `Where's my pain medicine?'' I could even tell them what kind and how much.

'Ty was there too, and he said, `I can hear you. Quit your bitchin'.' ''

``I was so happy.''

Michelle's new kidney kicked in immediately, producing urine within 10 minutes of being attached.

``The next day I went to the bathroom for the first time in three years.''

Even before they left the hospital, Michelle and Ty were talking to her kidney doctor, UM nephrologist Dr. Warren Kupin, about getting pregnant. They were told to wait a year, until she could ease off on the powerful anti-rejection drugs she was taking for her transplant.

In a year and two months, they were pregnant, and now await the April 20th arrival of little Jake. She invites the public to visit her pregnancy blog at babiesonline.com/babies/m/michelleandty/ to see Jake's eight-month sonogram, and Ty mugging in ersatz surprise upon reading the pregnancy test monitor.

''She told me to make a funny face; I didn't know she was going to put it all over the Net,'' he grumps. Michelle says she's telling her story now to help others in her position.

``I want to give people hope, because I didn't have any. I was only 26, I was supposed to be able to travel, buy a bigger house, finish college, have kids. I didn't get to do that.

Kupin, her doctor, agrees.

''It is a miracle,'' he said. ``And it's good that the public will hear that her husband donated the kidney. Anti-rejection drugs are so good now that you don't have to be blood-related any more.''

With patients routinely waiting three or four years for a donated kidney, he said, it's crucial to let potential donors know they can donate even as strangers.

Still, risks remain. Michelle, who turns 34 next month, knows that having a baby puts stress on her body, which could cause problems with her new kidney. And Kupin says even the best new kidney will last only 20 years or so -- meaning she may need another new kidney in her 50s.

''There are many people out there on their second kidney, and some even on their third or fourth,'' Kupin says. ``As drugs improve, we hope to extend the warranty.''

Says Michelle: ``I'm not too worried. Once you've been through it, it's not so scary.

``Anyway, you've got to do what you've got to do to live.''

www.LupusMCTD.com
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 01:08:47 pm by ♥Admin♥ » Logged

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
www.LupusMCTD.com Represents:
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
2) Where HOPE is a WORK In Progress
3) Pay It Forward~Giving Back To The Future Lupus/MCTD Patients
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

© Page Contents, Layout, Graphics and Design All Copyrighted by Credited Artists and are Not Public Domain.

LupusMCTD Founder & Patient
Former Domestic Violence SURVIVOR
Kathy A. Patterson

Author of the Upcoming Memoir Book:
"Fighting From The Inside Out"..
A lupus patient fights the beast within her immune system and the beast at home....

e-Booklet filled with photos and videos of what abuse was, signs to look for,
where to turn to for help, and much more to help others like me...

For more information
Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233)

"The Meaning of the Words in the Second Amendment .... "That the people have a right to freedom of speech, and of writing, and publishing their sentiments;"

PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law
Photobucket
© 2008 LupusMCTD Foundation of America - All Rights Reserved
Est.November 11, 2005
"We Understand What You Are Going Through"™