Welcome To www.LupusMCTD.com
April 20, 2024, 12:25:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Effect of Illness Accumulation on Quality of Life  (Read 5633 times)
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« on: July 14, 2007, 11:40:56 am »

The Effect of Illness Accumulation on Quality of Life

It would seem obvious to most people that the more illnesses one has, the less functional they would be. Scientists, on the other hand, must prove things via empirical studies.

In a study titled Functioning in individuals with chronic fatigue syndrome: increased impairment with co-occurring multiple chemical sensitivity and fibromyalgia, Brown and Jason (2007) set out to "differentiate these diagnoses by comparing individuals with one or more illnesses on functioning, psychiatric comorbidity, coping style, and in vivo physical measures".

Brown and Jason were spurred by the proposal that chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS), and fibromyalgia (FM) commonly co-occur and may be manifestations of the same illness.

The researchers surveyed 114 men and women who met the criteria for CFS. They further diagnosed FM during a physical examination, and MCS using a questionnaire. The men and women were then divided into four groups based on diagnoses:

43.9% met criteria for CFS,

23.7% met criteria for CFS & MCS, 15.8% met criteria for CFS & FM,

16.7% met criteria for all three.

Demographics varied widely. A total of 46% were referred by physicians, 34% from media advertisements, and 20% from word-of-mouth.

After an initial screening, participants were given a CFS questionnaire to collect demographics, health status, medication usage, and symptom data. This was followed by a structured clinical interview for DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistics Manual of Mental Disorders) disorders to determine presence of any mental disorders. A medical assessment of CFS was performed, including an in-depth medical and neurological history, and physical exam. A self-report measure was used for general functioning. The Fatigue Severity Scale was added to measure fatigue and the Beck Depression Inventory was included to measure depression.

A Brief Cope and Brief Pain was administered to determine how subjects reacted to stress and pain respectively. An Actiograph, designed to measure activity during every minute of a week was worn to record daily activities. A six minute walking test measured physical functioning and the Rating of Perceived Exertion was used to measure subjects perception of the intensity of their activity based on bodily sensations. Sit and reach, hand grip, and employment status were the final factors examined that concluded this extensive battery of measures.

As you undoubtedly guessed, the more conditions the subject had, the more impaired they were. Those with CFS alone were the highest functioning and those with CFS, FM, and MCS were the lowest functioning, leading Brown and Jason to conclude that "this study provides evidence that having more than one illness exacerbates one's disability beyond CFS alone", which we have already guessed would be the case.

No significant differences were found in varying socio-demographic categories. A rather large percent of subjects (68%) had a college degree or higher, suggestive of prior functioning.

A substantial number of CFS patients (56%) had co-occurring MCS and/or FM, which is consistent with prior study findings that have shown significant overlap between MCS, CFS, and FM.

Depression was more common in those with MCS, CFS, and FM combined, suggesting increased prevalence of depression in those who are more severely disabled.

Overall, this exhaustive study has shown that increased disability means decreased functioning. It is important to remember that all participants in this study suffered from CFS. FM and MCS was not evaluated alone or as a pair without the presence of CFS.

Reference

Brown, MM & and Jason, LA (2007). Functioning in individuals with chronic fatigue syndrome: increased impairment with co-occurring multiple chemical sensitivity and fibromyalgia. Dynamic Medicine 2007, 6:6

About the Author

Lourdes Salvador is a writer and social advocate based in Hawaii. She is a passionate advocate for the homeless, having worked with her local governor to open new shelters and provide services to the homeless in a new approach to end homelessness. That passion soon turned to advocacy and activism for victims of multiple chemical sensitivity. Since 2006, she has been the president of MCS America and a featured monthly writer for MCS America News. She co-founded MCS Awareness in 2005. She also serves as Partner, Environmental Education Week and Partner, Collaborative on Health and the Environment (CHE).

www.LupusMCTD.com

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
www.LupusMCTD.com Represents:
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
2) Where HOPE is a WORK In Progress
3) Pay It Forward~Giving Back To The Future Lupus/MCTD Patients
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 09:08:24 pm »

Learning to live differently

Fibromyalgia causes exhaustion, pain and depression

Exhaustion. Pain. Anxiety. Depression.
People who develop fibromyalgia have to go through the five stages of grieving before they can accept their disorder and start to live again, said Iris Weverman, a registered physiotherapist who owns and operates Iris Weverman Physiotherapy in Toronto.

Since there's no cure for the disorder, Weverman said she teaches coping methods to make fibromyalgia patients live their best life. She does this by encouraging them to do the things they love to do in different ways.

"A young lady I saw today, she loves to play piano but said she can't do it anymore, so I told her, 'Why not? Could you not just play for three minutes and then stop for five minutes, then play for three more minutes'?"

Weverman also suggests her patients exercise and links them to other health practitioners such as podiatrists, nutritionists or psychotherapists.

"They need help bio-chemically with nutrition and medication and vitamins and supplement, they also need help with support because some of them have some serious problems," she said.

Weverman also makes sure her clients regulate their sleep.

"During sleep is when you repair your body, so if they don't get the proper sleep, they're not going to revitalize their body," she said.

Scarborough resident Devi Adeken was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 13 years ago.

She is currently on a vigorous nutrition-based treatment, using vitamins to relax and build the muscles, and was told to walk as much as she could.

Adeken said she manages her disorder by controlling the amount of stress within her life and eating well.

"It's about reinventing yourself, seeing yourself and life in a very different way than the old me. It's a daily battle to try and keep going and keep my head

~Toronto, Cananda

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
sunnipearl
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 09:22:17 pm »

gdpst  I don't know right now weather I am having a lupus flare up, Or a fibro flare up?That's what is hard for me to figure out. I have all the tiredness and the aches and pains but not as bad as in the past. I have been home for the last 4 days....I am not good at eating during this time either..That's what  I hate when I have no appatite.. whimper Plus when I am feeling this bad it's almost so hard for me to just make coffee or tea...I am so tired that even walking into the kitchen is exshuseding to me...My arms are so tired its hard to pick up a bottle of water. So I really have no idea what to think any more?? tpfngrs I have a doctors appointment soon on the 21 of July for Lupus and one on the 25 for my chest pain...We shall see then I guess..But in the mean time does anyone have any thoughts on this? please let me know what you think okay? anything is always helpful..Thanks Love and blessings Gail coolsmiley
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 10:42:42 am »

gdpst  I don't know right now weather I am having a lupus flare up, Or a fibro flare up?That's what is hard for me to figure out. I have all the tiredness and the aches and pains but not as bad as in the past. I have been home for the last 4 days....I am not good at eating during this time either..That's what  I hate when I have no appatite.. whimper Plus when I am feeling this bad it's almost so hard for me to just make coffee or tea...I am so tired that even walking into the kitchen is exshuseding to me...My arms are so tired its hard to pick up a bottle of water. So I really have no idea what to think any more?? tpfngrs I have a doctors appointment soon on the 21 of July for Lupus and one on the 25 for my chest pain...We shall see then I guess..But in the mean time does anyone have any thoughts on this? please let me know what you think okay? anything is always helpful..Thanks Love and blessings Gail coolsmiley
(((GAIL)))  litbflys
Sounds like stress or the weather is making you feel like not eating, thus making you weak. Just my thoughts .  nurse_   Please try to eat, weakness is not good.
Keep us posted what the Doc says  prplbtfy

« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 10:44:05 am by Admin » Logged

sunnipearl
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 09:49:10 pm »

Thank You Kathy,
                                    I don't know why I have a huge sign that say's Good Post LOL....I am losing it...I made up today for not eating good all week...I had some chicken breast and salad,also corn on the cob for dinner...I am feeling some what tired and weak,But I am keeping down the liquids. I went out today first time in 5 day's.....We went to a grand opening for my cousins art shop.. I had a very nice time seeing my realtives.....The sun was very hot as they had a band and some booths with all kinds of items for sale. I was not out for long( outside that is) but I was good as long as I didn't have to be in the sun today. By the time dinner was done I was ready for  ababysleeps Then all of a sudden its night and I am a  nedslp
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 10:08:53 pm »

Thank You Kathy,
                                    I don't know why I have a huge sign that say's Good Post LOL....I am losing it...I made up today for not eating good all week...I had some chicken breast and salad,also corn on the cob for dinner...I am feeling some what tired and weak,But I am keeping down the liquids. I went out today first time in 5 day's.....We went to a grand opening for my cousins art shop.. I had a very nice time seeing my realtives.....The sun was very hot as they had a band and some booths with all kinds of items for sale. I was not out for long( outside that is) but I was good as long as I didn't have to be in the sun today. By the time dinner was done I was ready for  ababysleeps Then all of a sudden its night and I am a  nedslp
Hi Gail,
I think you put that smilie holding the sign because of the first original post on this thread "learning to live diffrently".

Your dinner sounds so yummy!!! I am a chicken breast eater, charbroiled, BBQ you name it I'll eat it!

Your cousin's shop sounds like it's going to do real good business, glad you made it through the day there to spend with family  litbflys

Now get you some ababysleeps

Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 10:00:14 am »

Fibromyalgia is a chronic disorder characterized by widespread muscle and soft tissue pain.
Fibromyalgia is a chronic disorder characterized by widespread muscle and soft tissue pain.

It is accompanied by a wide variety of symptoms such as IBS, frequent yeast infections, chest pain, depression, common headaches, migraine headaches, mitral valve prolaps, muscle and joint pain, fatigue, PMS, tingling and numbness in feet and/or hands, sleep problems, brain fog, poor memory, problem thinking of words, problems doing mental tasks such as math, restless leg syndrome, sleep apnea, dry eyes and mouth and chemical and food allergies.

Until recently many doctors considered the numerous symptoms of Fibromyalgia to be psychogenic. The reason for this is Fibromyalgia lacks a clear test to verify its existence. Fibromyalgia's many symptoms are not necessarily the same in each patient which makes it hard to diagnose and Fibromyalgia sufferers look "fine" making it hard to believe the illness really exists.

There is no cure for Fibromyalgia but there are many things we can do to make life more manageable:

Work with your doctor
Eliminate stress
Low impact aerobic exercise
Stretching exercise
Massage therapy
Acupressure
Acupuncture
Chiropractic care
Reflexology
Hydrotherapy
Electric pulse therapy
Magnetic therapy
Adjust your diet

Certain foods will cause fatigue and different foods affect each Fibromyalgia sufferer differently. It becomes a process of elimination. Because everyone reacts differently to different food, eliminating foods that trigger pain is a tedious yet important process for each individual as no two sufferers are the same.

If you suspect you may have Fibromyalgia, talk to your doctor. He/she is an important part of your Fibromyalgia management. They can help you understand your illness and prescribe medication for pain. It is also a good idea to join a support group. They will help you develop coping skills, provide emotional support and understanding, boost your emotional and physical self, and they will validate your pain when your family and friends sometimes can't understand.

Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 06:42:50 pm »

new thread for helpful ideas to better cope living with Fibromyalgia

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

© Page Contents, Layout, Graphics and Design All Copyrighted by Credited Artists and are Not Public Domain.

LupusMCTD Founder & Patient
Former Domestic Violence SURVIVOR
Kathy A. Patterson

Author of the Upcoming Memoir Book:
"Fighting From The Inside Out"..
A lupus patient fights the beast within her immune system and the beast at home....

e-Booklet filled with photos and videos of what abuse was, signs to look for,
where to turn to for help, and much more to help others like me...

For more information
Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233)

"The Meaning of the Words in the Second Amendment .... "That the people have a right to freedom of speech, and of writing, and publishing their sentiments;"

PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law
Photobucket
© 2008 LupusMCTD Foundation of America - All Rights Reserved
Est.November 11, 2005
"We Understand What You Are Going Through"™