Welcome To www.LupusMCTD.com
March 28, 2024, 10:55:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Losing weight w. lupus or other connective tissue disease/arthritis  (Read 12752 times)
Jenilee
Seeker of Support

« on: April 27, 2007, 08:21:49 pm »

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. If not, maybe the post can be moved.  smiley

Here's the thing. I want to lose weight. However, I'm tired most of the time and I have joint pain, so it's very hard for me to exercise. I have a gym membership, but every time I go I feel so much pain afterwards and it takes me days to recover.   Shocked

I've been doing water exercise, and although it hopefully helps with flexibility etc., it's really not enough exercise to make a difference. I also walk every day, but not far enough or fast enough to see results on the scale or my wardrobe.

So, I'm thinking diet. But I have high blood pressure, so high protein diets are out. I'm not a great cook and most of the time I'm too viped out at night to cook an elaborate meal. So I grab bread or eat pasta, which is not the healthiest, but it's fast and easy.

Anyone have the same problem? Has anyone found a way that works will all those limitations? Any and all tips are appreciated. Sob stories too.  Azn
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 08:32:35 pm »

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. If not, maybe the post can be moved.  smiley

Here's the thing. I want to lose weight. However, I'm tired most of the time and I have joint pain, so it's very hard for me to exercise. I have a gym membership, but every time I go I feel so much pain afterwards and it takes me days to recover.   Shocked

I've been doing water exercise, and although it hopefully helps with flexibility etc., it's really not enough exercise to make a difference. I also walk every day, but not far enough or fast enough to see results on the scale or my wardrobe.

So, I'm thinking diet. But I have high blood pressure, so high protein diets are out. I'm not a great cook and most of the time I'm too viped out at night to cook an elaborate meal. So I grab bread or eat pasta, which is not the healthiest, but it's fast and easy.

Anyone have the same problem? Has anyone found a way that works will all those limitations? Any and all tips are appreciated. Sob stories too.  Azn
Jennilee,  litbflys
This is one problem I'm sorry I can not help you with. I'm 5'7" and weigh less than 125.
Good news! There are several ladies here that either have lost weight or are wanting to lose weight.

One member, Karyl, she has recently lost like 17 pounds through Curves. She has a few health problems but she takes it easy plus she uses vitamin supplements. Here is her Blog if you wish to read it, she talks about loseing her weight
http://journals.aol.com/klconard1/GlimpsesofEternity/
If you post, tell her Kathy sent you .

Good luck Jennilee, I'm sure others will post. If not I will search for archive post where the girls talk about what they do to lose weight to give you some ideas. OK?
Hang in there,
Kathy

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
www.LupusMCTD.com Represents:
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
2) Where HOPE is a WORK In Progress
3) Pay It Forward~Giving Back To The Future Lupus/MCTD Patients
Jenilee
Seeker of Support

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 05:08:28 pm »

Jennilee,  litbflys
This is one problem I'm sorry I can not help you with. I'm 5'7" and weigh less than 125.
Good news! There are several ladies here that either have lost weight or are wanting to lose weight.

One member, Karyl, she has recently lost like 17 pounds through Curves. She has a few health problems but she takes it easy plus she uses vitamin supplements. Here is her Blog if you wish to read it, she talks about loseing her weight
http://journals.aol.com/klconard1/GlimpsesofEternity/
If you post, tell her Kathy sent you .

Good luck Jennilee, I'm sure others will post. If not I will search for archive post where the girls talk about what they do to lose weight to give you some ideas. OK?
Hang in there,
Kathy

Hi Kathy,  smiley

Thanks for the link to Karyl's blog. I'll definitely check it out. We don't have Curves where I live, but maybe I can do something similar.

I'm also quite confused about the diet. Like I said, I have high blood pressure (which is one reason why I want to lose weight), so that means decreasing salt, dairy red meat and more.

But then I'm also anemic, so I don't know if it's smart for me to cut out red meat. I don't eat dairy anyway, so that will stay the same. I don't have much energy as it is, and I'm looking for a diet and exercise program that will increase, not decrease my energy.  tpfngrs

Hopefully more will reply!  Any and all comments are appreciated! prplbtfy
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 05:41:09 pm »

Hi Kathy,  smiley

Thanks for the link to Karyl's blog. I'll definitely check it out. We don't have Curves where I live, but maybe I can do something similar.

I'm also quite confused about the diet. Like I said, I have high blood pressure (which is one reason why I want to lose weight), so that means decreasing salt, dairy red meat and more.

But then I'm also anemic, so I don't know if it's smart for me to cut out red meat. I don't eat dairy anyway, so that will stay the same. I don't have much energy as it is, and I'm looking for a diet and exercise program that will increase, not decrease my energy.  tpfngrs

Hopefully more will reply!  Any and all comments are appreciated! prplbtfy
Hi Jennilee,  prplbtfy
As promised I'd look up some old post useing the search emgine above.
I narrowed it down to 3 posts of members talking about loseing weight and so forth.

http://www.lupusmctd.com/index.php?topic=285.msg6212#msg6212

http://www.lupusmctd.com/index.php?topic=1301.msg6411#msg6411

http://www.lupusmctd.com/index.php?topic=889.msg5203#msg5203

I hope reading these posts helps you, if no one esle posts soon, I'll make a post asking for their stories on how they lost weight. Or if I REALLY have to, LOL I'll send out a newsletter to every member asking them .

Hopefully it won't take that long for others to post about weight gain & how they lost it .

Hang in there Jennilee,
Your'e not alone. Everyone just hasn't read your post yet.
Kathy
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 05:42:54 pm by Admin » Logged

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
Jenilee
Seeker of Support

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 08:20:16 pm »

Hi Jennilee,  prplbtfy
Hopefully it won't take that long for others to post about weight gain & how they lost it .

Hang in there Jennilee,
Your'e not alone. Everyone just hasn't read your post yet.
Kathy

I guess nobody has seen it yet, or they don't have any ideas.

The thing is, there's a class at my gym starting early May, which is geared towards people with fibromyalgia.

Now, I don't have fibromyalgia according to my rheumatologist, but I was wondering if this class would still be a good idea.

But I'm still sort of reluctant to pay more than $100 for a class if I won't be able to attend. Last time I tried exercising at the gym, I had to take time off work the next day, it was so bad.  Shocked
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 08:21:40 pm by Jenilee » Logged
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 08:31:25 pm »

I guess nobody has seen it yet, or they don't have any ideas.

The thing is, there's a class at my gym starting early May, which is geared towards people with fibromyalgia.

Now, I don't have fibromyalgia according to my rheumatologist, but I was wondering if this class would still be a good idea.

But I'm still sort of reluctant to pay more than $100 for a class if I won't be able to attend. Last time I tried exercising at the gym, I had to take time off work the next day, it was so bad.  Shocked
Ouch, $100... bat and it's for Fibro.
Well , do you hurt alot Jennilee in your arms, legs?

If so I'm sure the lessons could be a benefit to you for your pain. You could also benefit to toning your muscles or work off some excess weight. But $100 just to try it one time is a little steep.

How about this, call them, tell them the situation, you really want to lose weight but have other health issues at hand.
Ask if you could possible come in for the first day and see how it's going to be, if it's something you think physically you can do, then go ahead and pay them?

It would be great to get into a setting like that, for support and to have learn ideas of what you may be able to do at home for FREE.
Hang in there, if you call tommorow, let me know what they say .
Kathy

Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 10:10:56 pm »

smileysoapbox
For several days now Jennielee is trying to get other members imput on loseing weight.She will DEEPLY appreciate some imput from the members here on this site.
PLEASE ANYONE POST Re:

"Here's the thing. I want to lose weight. However, I'm tired most of the time and I have joint pain, so it's very hard for me to exercise. I have a gym membership, but every time I go I feel so much pain afterwards and it takes me days to recover.   

Anyone have the same problem? Has anyone found a way that works will all those limitations? Any and all tips are appreciated."
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 10:11:49 pm by Admin » Logged

Sweet Jasmine
Jr. Seeker of Support

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 12:31:28 pm »

i'm a big gal no doubt about that, but honey i can't lose any weight. I tried through the years but I hurt so bad somedays I can't get out of my chair or bed. I wish i could help ya.[color]
sunnipearl
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 03:28:21 pm »

litbflys Hello Jennilee,
                                               My name is Gail....As you can see on the loop I am not a thin person either...My face however is always swelled....I am not a big girl either....But as far as a diet I wish I could help you out.....I also did water excersize and that really helped with feeling good with myself,But it didn't help with weight loss either..Having Lupus is extreamly difficult to lose weight because we always swell up and its mostly water weight..Thats the sed rate we get...So it is a hard thing to do I agree...I always say wow everytime I go into my closet to put on something I haven't worn in a long time it seems to shrink on me..LOL....But I found that I have been drinking that peach flavored green tea cold drink....Its a boost for you and it also helps with breaking down the fats we put into our body...I am sorry I can not remember the name of it. I found it in the section of the grocery store where you get the engery drinks...Its a green tea in bottle's and the price range is about 5 dollars for 6 cans of it and they are the big cans...Also I found if I eat 4 small meals al day long and add fruit to it I am doing great. I always feel good too. Don't forget your bannana's because we need the potassium......I hope I helped a little. Also I have bought the green tea diest plan and that seeems to work great its in walmart at only like 3 dollars for 15 days and they also have the gum in with it....Its a thought and maybe a help? I hope so good luck and may the Angels always be around you,God bless you from the bottom of my heart,Love,Gail
Jenilee
Seeker of Support

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 02:01:36 pm »

Thanks Gail and Jasmine for your replies.  litbflys

I decided not to take the class, since I think it costs too much, at least for my financial circumstances at the moment.

But I'm still researching all things diet, and am leaning towards a modified protein diet with more vegetables and a little more carbs, which should provide me with enough iron to battle anemia and hopefully increase energy while losing weight.  smiley

Gail, what is the name of that green tea drink? Do you remember?
sunnipearl
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 02:42:06 pm »

Jenilee,
                     Hi hon, I am so sorry i can not remember the name off hand. When I go back to the store i will get it and tell you. I have been ill lately so I haven't been out to much these days.....Its a calorie burner and it comes in peach flavor...Also just a green tea flavor..You get 6 tall cans of it and I will tell you it works great for me..I just have to get you the name...and I will....Take care and chin up..God Bless you Love,Gail
lupusjoy
GOD`S GIFT
Full Seeker of Support

I AM BLESSED AND SO ARE YOU!!

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 01:01:22 pm »

I THINK THE WATER AROBIC`S ARE GOOD I HAVE PAIN ALL THE TIME TOO ,AND IT WOULD BE NICE TO LOSE SOME WIGHT MY SELF BUT JENNILEE YOU KEEP TRYING AND LET ME NO HOW YOU ARE DO`ING ....

STAY BLESS`ED TESA

I JUST WANT TO SAY TO YOU ,WHEN YOU FEEL SAD JUST LOOK UP, AND ASK GOD TO GIVE YOU JOY ,AND HE WILL GIVE YOU THAT...STAY BLESSED,And be not afraid;go tell my brethren that they go in to Galilee,and there shall they see me .....
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

© Page Contents, Layout, Graphics and Design All Copyrighted by Credited Artists and are Not Public Domain.

LupusMCTD Founder & Patient
Former Domestic Violence SURVIVOR
Kathy A. Patterson

Author of the Upcoming Memoir Book:
"Fighting From The Inside Out"..
A lupus patient fights the beast within her immune system and the beast at home....

e-Booklet filled with photos and videos of what abuse was, signs to look for,
where to turn to for help, and much more to help others like me...

For more information
Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233)

"The Meaning of the Words in the Second Amendment .... "That the people have a right to freedom of speech, and of writing, and publishing their sentiments;"

PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law
Photobucket
© 2008 LupusMCTD Foundation of America - All Rights Reserved
Est.November 11, 2005
"We Understand What You Are Going Through"™