Welcome To www.LupusMCTD.com
April 20, 2024, 05:58:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: William Staton Jr.  (Read 2524 times)
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« on: May 22, 2007, 11:01:10 am »

William Staton rides his bicycle five days a week and for the past four months, Staton has started his commute about 90 minutes

On the streets of Harlem, N.Y., he earned the name "Angel" because he was always lending a hand where it was needed.

And that's something that William Staton Jr. has been doing ever since.

Born in Wilson, Staton, 51, moved to Harlem when he was 3 years old with his mother and sisters. His early life was hampered by a battle with Lupus. He spent two years in the hospital and went through five surgeries before he was 7 years old. His doctors told him he would never lead a normal active life.

"Shoot, they were wrong," Staton said recently with a wry grin.

In his youth, Staton went on to play hard like any other kid, excelling in basketball. He played two years at a New Hampshire college and then played several years with a semi-pro team in the late 1970s. As a teenager, he also worked as a bicycle messenger in New York City.

On occasion Staton said the pain from the Lupus sneaks back up on him, but he's had no real trouble in about 10 years.

After earning an associate's degree in business management, Staton returned to New York to help out his family. He worked several jobs to support his mother and siblings.

While in New York he got married and started a family. They moved to Atlanta and lived for seven years. After a divorce, and news that his mother was sick, Staton returned to Wilson. He left behind a 13-year-old daughter, Maya Zhane, who lives with her mother.

Staton moved here in December to help take care of his mother, Lillian Staton, who is battling Alzheimer's. What money he had, including savings and from the sale of his two cars, was quickly spent taking care of his mother's needs.

"Once I went through my savings I went down to DSS to find a job and was determined to take the first one I could find," Staton said. "It turned out that the first one that came up was at Sams in Rocky Mount."

Even though the job was in another city and he had no car, Staton took the job because he wanted and needed to work.

In order to get to and from his new job, Staton rides his bicycle. Five days a week and for the past four months, Staton starts his commute about 90 minutes before he's scheduled to begin his shift. Some days he says the ride is easy, and on other days it can be very difficult, especially those daily commutes during the winter.

"Oh it's super cold, man. There's some days I just wanted to lay down and die," Staton said. But, like all the other obstacles in his life, he'd push on to overcome a little cold.

"This is someone who really wanted to work and be employed," said Ron Hunt of the Wilson County Department of Social Services.

Hunt said Staton's determination to bicycle back and forth 32 miles each day he works "speaks to Mr. Staton's desire to achieve."

The position at Sams isn't his only job. Staton also does maintenance work at a Wilson apartment complex. He's hoping the money he makes from his second job will help him buy a car.

In addition to working the two jobs and speaking to various groups about overcoming the odds for DSS, Staton is trying to start his own business. While in Atlanta, Staton laid floors and carpet for a living. He wants to restart that business here in Wilson and has begun to hang fliers up across town.

He also has a dream of starting a community center in Wilson. As a child in Harlem, he said he benefited from the role models who offered him stern guidance at community centers around his neighborhood. That guidance kept him from running with street gangs and getting into too much trouble. Now it's something he wants to give back to the youth of Wilson.

The program, for which he's already drawn up a business plan, would be called "Each One, Teach One."

"There's a lot of kids out there who can use some guidance, and I just want to return what I was given as a kid," Staton said.

He's no stranger to working in community centers. Staton has coached basketball teams in various centers in New York, Atlanta and about 20 years ago in Rocky Mount. Several of those teams have competed in national tournaments and the Rocky Mount team won a national tournament in 1988.

"My whole life has been about helping folks, doing what I can, when I can," Staton said. "I've got all this knowledge and all this love, and I've got to get it out and give it to people."

www.LupusMCTD.com

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
www.LupusMCTD.com Represents:
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
2) Where HOPE is a WORK In Progress
3) Pay It Forward~Giving Back To The Future Lupus/MCTD Patients
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

© Page Contents, Layout, Graphics and Design All Copyrighted by Credited Artists and are Not Public Domain.

LupusMCTD Founder & Patient
Former Domestic Violence SURVIVOR
Kathy A. Patterson

Author of the Upcoming Memoir Book:
"Fighting From The Inside Out"..
A lupus patient fights the beast within her immune system and the beast at home....

e-Booklet filled with photos and videos of what abuse was, signs to look for,
where to turn to for help, and much more to help others like me...

For more information
Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233)

"The Meaning of the Words in the Second Amendment .... "That the people have a right to freedom of speech, and of writing, and publishing their sentiments;"

PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law
Photobucket
© 2008 LupusMCTD Foundation of America - All Rights Reserved
Est.November 11, 2005
"We Understand What You Are Going Through"™