Welcome To www.LupusMCTD.com
April 18, 2024, 07:53:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patti Bowman~Long Beach  (Read 2673 times)
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« on: June 01, 2007, 06:56:08 am »

Pathways Offered Comfort For Woman Battling Lupus

For a decade, Patti Bowman’s battle against lupus kept her bedridden — but not without hope and support.

When her disease became debilitating, she said she found a shoulder to lean on through Pathways Volunteer Hospice founding member Pat Hunter. A volunteer caregiver for the nonprofit organization, Hunter assisted Bowman during what she called one of the most challenging times of her life.

“You’re looking at four walls all the time, and family and friends are busy with their lives,” said Bowman, who is now in remission. “I knew I could count on her every Thursday morning, even when I was in the hospital.

“It was nice to have her come and say to my family and friends that they could get out for an hour or two. Even people who want to be there for you get burnt out.”

A Bellflower resident who grew up in Long Beach, Bowman said she heard about Pathways through her church. Hunter, she said, helped her deal with depression and three close family members’ deaths during her battle against the disease. Now that she’s able to walk, Bowman said she wants to help others the same way.

“I knew I wanted to give back to the program,” Bowman said. “I knew I could count on her each week — the support was invaluable.”

Pathways started out at Lakewood Regional Medical Center in 1985 as a community outreach dedicated to enhancing the lives of terminally ill patients. Two years later, it grew into a nonprofit organization, offering hospice, caregiver and bereavement support to bedridden patients and their friends and families.

“Pathways shows compassion and dignity for the in-between phases of life and for family and friends afterwards,” Bowman said. “Some people would be completely alone. You feel like the (volunteers) have you completely in mind. They let you talk about how you feel with things that are going on.”

Bowman knew immediately where she would take her first steps, she said, after praying for health and becoming well enough to leave her bed. Walker in hand, she stepped into the Pathways office on South Street and asked the staff how she could get involved.

“There are a lot of people out there already (who are supporting) friends and family,” she said. “Volunteers become the friends and family — they reach out in a greater way.”

The organization welcomed her like a family would, she said, and offered her the opportunity to be a “friendly phoner,” a volunteer who assesses the needs of Pathways clients. She also helps with office work.

“Volunteer commitment can be very small to very big,” she said. “There’s a place for all different gifts in the community. You get more back than what you give.”

While Bowman can’t predict if she will have another debilitating episode caused by lupus, she said she will remain a volunteer at Pathways as long as she can.

“I enjoy each day to the fullest,” she said. “I never know when it could be taken from me again.”

Volunteers number about 100 and offer friendship, transportation, housekeeping, pain management and other kinds of help to patients throughout Long Beach and nearby cities. Support groups, follow-up, and counseling are available at no cost to patients and their friends and families.

“It’s very reliable,” Bowman said. “The office staff keeps in touch, so that if there’s something else that can be provided, clients have the backup of the whole Pathways community.”

Sponsors, grants and fundraisers support the organization’s services.

To find out more about Pathways Volunteer Hospice, at 3300 South St. (suite 206), call 531-3031 or visit www.pathwayshospice.org.

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
www.LupusMCTD.com Represents:
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
2) Where HOPE is a WORK In Progress
3) Pay It Forward~Giving Back To The Future Lupus/MCTD Patients
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

© Page Contents, Layout, Graphics and Design All Copyrighted by Credited Artists and are Not Public Domain.

LupusMCTD Founder & Patient
Former Domestic Violence SURVIVOR
Kathy A. Patterson

Author of the Upcoming Memoir Book:
"Fighting From The Inside Out"..
A lupus patient fights the beast within her immune system and the beast at home....

e-Booklet filled with photos and videos of what abuse was, signs to look for,
where to turn to for help, and much more to help others like me...

For more information
Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233)

"The Meaning of the Words in the Second Amendment .... "That the people have a right to freedom of speech, and of writing, and publishing their sentiments;"

PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law
Photobucket
© 2008 LupusMCTD Foundation of America - All Rights Reserved
Est.November 11, 2005
"We Understand What You Are Going Through"™