Welcome To www.LupusMCTD.com
April 20, 2024, 03:42:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jamaica Hospital Lupus Clinic Open  (Read 3387 times)
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« on: October 21, 2007, 10:25:07 pm »

Jamaica Hospital Lupus Clinic Open

The services offered at Jamaica Hospital Medical Center are inscribed on the door from family practice to radiology, but the newest service is yet to be emblazoned.

Patients afflicted with lupus – an autoimmune disease in which the immune system, for unknown reasons, becomes hyperactive and attacks normal tissue – don’t have to make a trek to Nassau County or a neighboring boroughs to get treatment. Four weeks ago a lupus treatment center opened inside the medical center.

“This is the only lupus center in Queens,” Dr. Meggan Mackey said. She added that because of the demographic affected by lupus, “we know that there are a lot of patients.”

Mackey said lupus predominantly affects minority women of child bearing age. According to WebMD, black and Asian females between the ages of 15 and 45 are most susceptible to the autoimmune disease.

Mackey, a rheumatologist by trade, said her interest in the area of lupus grew because of the demographic and the vehemence in which it attacks women. She said on average the disease afflicts nine women for every man affected. Mackey said there are approximately 100,000 new cases of the disease and that doctors are not sure if the new instances are better diagnosis or more cases.

Dr Betty Diamond, head of North Shore-LIJ’s Autoimmune Center at the Feinstein Institute, said that there approximately 5 million cases of lupus in the country.

She and her colleagues helped open the new lupus clinic in attempt to thwart the disease. Mackey and Aranow work out of the clinic treating and assisting patients manage their disease while Diamond and Davidson work in the lab on scientific research.

“When we came to Feinstein we wanted to look at how to better understand the disease,” Mackey said. “We wanted to know what makes it flare. What makes it better?”

Scientists have yet to hone in on what causes lupus, but they are making headway. Mackey said there might be a link between estrogen and lupus, along with a genetic component.

Lupus affects everyone differently.

“If you had 100 lupus patients sitting here they would all have a different flavor of the disease,” she said.

Symptoms can range from rashes on the face called a discoid or malar rash, while other patients may have kidney, arthritis or brain and central nervous system problems.

To treat lupus, patients are usually given a host of medications that can have adverse health effects. “There are only a handful that are out there to treat the disease,” Mackey said, adding that treatment is a double edged sword. The medications may force the lupus into reemission, but it may cause bone death, infertility and death from infection.

Through the lupus clinic, located at 111-20 Merrick Blvd., Jamaica patients will be able to participate in clinical trials of new medications that are not yet on the market. Mackey said there are six to 10 medications that are currently in clinical trial.

According to Mackey, the collaboration with Jamaica Hospital that started in February has been great; “Jamaica Hospital was very nice and extraordinary helpful.”

“There is a need for good care with lupus,” Diamond said. “Patients will get access to new nuclear studies that are being done.”

Building Supervisor Thalita Viruet said the lupus center benefits not only patients suffering from the ailment, but also those with rheumatism. The rheumatology clinic is always overbooked and since the doctors treating lupus may also treat rheumatism so it alleviates backed up logs.

The facilities housing the lupus center is modest in nature. It is on the ground floor of the two floor facility and it doubles as an OB/GYN facility.

Because the facility was recently introduced to the neighborhood it is lacking clientele, but is certain that the influx of people once people know of it. While the medical center is open from Monday to Saturday, the lupus center is only opened on Fridays.

Even though patients may only see the doctors once a week, Mackey said she is available 24 hours a day. Her patients have her beeper number in case of emergencies or they just need to talk.

“We want patients to understand that we are committed to their care and you cannot do that if there is no trust,” Mackey said.

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
www.LupusMCTD.com Represents:
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
2) Where HOPE is a WORK In Progress
3) Pay It Forward~Giving Back To The Future Lupus/MCTD Patients
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

© Page Contents, Layout, Graphics and Design All Copyrighted by Credited Artists and are Not Public Domain.

LupusMCTD Founder & Patient
Former Domestic Violence SURVIVOR
Kathy A. Patterson

Author of the Upcoming Memoir Book:
"Fighting From The Inside Out"..
A lupus patient fights the beast within her immune system and the beast at home....

e-Booklet filled with photos and videos of what abuse was, signs to look for,
where to turn to for help, and much more to help others like me...

For more information
Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233)

"The Meaning of the Words in the Second Amendment .... "That the people have a right to freedom of speech, and of writing, and publishing their sentiments;"

PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law
Photobucket
© 2008 LupusMCTD Foundation of America - All Rights Reserved
Est.November 11, 2005
"We Understand What You Are Going Through"™