Welcome To www.LupusMCTD.com
March 28, 2024, 09:59:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heart Disease Among Women With Lupus  (Read 5813 times)
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« on: October 15, 2007, 07:42:39 am »

Heart Disease Among Women With Lupus

Women with lupus are at great risk of developing heart disease. Several studies have confirmed that women with lupus have a five- to ten-fold increased risk of coronary heart disease compared to the general population, especially women with lupus who are younger than 55. Ninety percent of people with lupus are women and the 80 percent of new cases of lupus develop among women ages 15-44.

Researchers compared cardiovascular risk factors in women with lupus to groups of equally matched healthy women. Although the groups were matched for age and other factors, the women with lupus were more likely to have risk factors traditionally associated with heart disease, including hypertension, and higher levels of triglycerides, low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol and homocysteine, an amino acid found in the blood. These factors are associated with inflammation caused by lupus and likely contribute to the increased risk of coronary heart disease.

Several decades ago, when women with lupus died shortly after developing lupus, their deaths were attributed to previously undiagnosed and untreated active lupus. But when they died years after their diagnosis of lupus, the cause of death was attributed to atherosclerotic heart disease. Atherosclerosis is now considered an inflammatory disease and lupus is the prototypic inflammatory disease. Inflammation plays a major role in causing atherosclerosis, which results when fatty deposits, cholesterol and other materials accumulate in the blood.

The combination of atherosclerosis and lupus greatly increases the risk of cardiovascular disease among women. A lupus flare or autoimmune response may cause inflammation to blood vessels. Inflammation stretches clogged arteries, causing tears in the artery walls and allowing blood clots to form. These clots can block blood supply to the heart and can trigger a heart attack.

Researchers are studying potential therapies that will reduce the risk of heart disease in women with lupus, including cholesterol-lowering drugs and aspirin therapy. However, women with lupus also can take more traditional steps to lower their risk: lose weight, stop smoking, lower blood pressure and homocysteine levels, and get moderate aerobic exercise.

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
www.LupusMCTD.com Represents:
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
2) Where HOPE is a WORK In Progress
3) Pay It Forward~Giving Back To The Future Lupus/MCTD Patients
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 02:14:01 pm »

What causes woman's heart problem?

Ask the Doctor
February 04. 2009

Q My 39-year-old daughter is having heart problems. The doctor says she has something called cardiomyopathy. She has weak spells and is always tired. Her doctor had her on a medication, but it caused her blood pressure to go too low, so he took her off it. He is now trying to find something else that may work for her.

Could you please explain what this disease is, what happens to the body, any treatment options and what the prognosis is? I only know that somehow the heart doesn't pump right.

A Cardiomyopathy is a condition that causes the heart muscle to weaken, leading to inadequate heart pumping and blood flow, as well as other problems, such as palpitations.

There are several types of cardiomyopathy. Each is associated with a different cause. Some of these types include alcoholic, dilated, ischemic, restrictive, toxic, infectious, idiopathic and more. Causes include alcoholism, heart attacks, viral infections, lupus, celiac disease, long-term severe high blood pressure and many others.

Because you don't say what type your daughter has, I cannot give specific advice. However, I will briefly explain some general information including symptoms, treatment and prognosis.

Symptoms vary from person to person and from cause to cause. Some of the more common symptoms include fatigue, high blood pressure, palpitations, edema (swelling), cough (caused by fluid buildup in the lungs due to heart failure), shortness of breath and more.

If cardiomyopathy is suspected, a physician would likely order blood work to check for anemia and elevated cardiac enzymes, as well as imaging studies including a chest X-ray, echocardiogram, heart ultrasound and angiography.

Treatment often involves dietary and behavior modifications and medications.

Medications can include those to lower blood pressure, improve blood flow, reduce the workload of the heart while improving the heartbeat, relieve fluid buildup and slow the heart rate. What medications are given depend on which type of cardiomyopathy your daughter has.

The prognosis depends on the severity of the damage, the cause and the response to treatment.

Your daughter needs to be under the care of a cardiologist.

Write to Peter Gott, c/o United Media, 200 Madison Ave., Fourth Floor, New York, NY 10016.

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
www.LupusMCTD.com Represents:
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
2) Where HOPE is a WORK In Progress
3) Pay It Forward~Giving Back To The Future Lupus/MCTD Patients
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

© Page Contents, Layout, Graphics and Design All Copyrighted by Credited Artists and are Not Public Domain.

LupusMCTD Founder & Patient
Former Domestic Violence SURVIVOR
Kathy A. Patterson

Author of the Upcoming Memoir Book:
"Fighting From The Inside Out"..
A lupus patient fights the beast within her immune system and the beast at home....

e-Booklet filled with photos and videos of what abuse was, signs to look for,
where to turn to for help, and much more to help others like me...

For more information
Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233)

"The Meaning of the Words in the Second Amendment .... "That the people have a right to freedom of speech, and of writing, and publishing their sentiments;"

PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law
Photobucket
© 2008 LupusMCTD Foundation of America - All Rights Reserved
Est.November 11, 2005
"We Understand What You Are Going Through"™