Welcome To www.LupusMCTD.com
March 28, 2024, 05:47:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modesto, CA girl (my hometown)  (Read 11233 times)
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« on: October 20, 2007, 10:14:56 am »

Local girl in my hometown newspaper has Lupus and was given a Make  A Wish treatment. (Free laptop, shopping, dinner, etc)
http://www.modbee.com/life/buzzz/story/96260.html

Holly, this makes how many patients from the central valley/Modesto area with Lupus?
 CandleSmilie

« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 10:47:55 am by Admin » Logged

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
www.LupusMCTD.com Represents:
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
2) Where HOPE is a WORK In Progress
3) Pay It Forward~Giving Back To The Future Lupus/MCTD Patients
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 10:49:58 am »

Kathy I looked and all I saw was about home prices and how homes are on the market? Where is the story so I can read it? or did I do something wrong? let me know thanks,Gail
All fixed now Gail. My mouse when I copied and paste had the last link in it which was the prices of homes plummeting here.

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
Holly
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 11:03:19 am »

That is nice for her but I am baffled by this. I always thought Make A Wish was for kids who were fighting cancer or some other disease that was certainly going to take their life in the future. I know that lupus most certainly can and does take lives it is just that I never thought of it as a Make A Wish disease.
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 11:54:47 am »

That is nice for her but I am baffled by this. I always thought Make A Wish was for kids who were fighting cancer or some other disease that was certainly going to take their life in the future. I know that lupus most certainly can and does take lives it is just that I never thought of it as a Make A Wish disease.
Holly,
I have always thought the same. I quit donating to Make A Wish a few years back when I started seeing that my donations were being used for the whole family to go on trips to Disneyland and such.
Here is a link
http://www.wish.org/about/how_we_grant_wishes
and a portion of qualifications:
Step 1: Referral
We rely on medical professionals, parents and children themselves for referrals. Children who have reached the age of 2 ˝ and are under the age of 18 at the time of referral who have not received a wish from another wish-granting organization may be eligible for a wish.

Step 2: Medical eligibility
We determine a child’s medical eligibility with the help of the treating physician. To receive a wish, the child must be diagnosed with a life-threatening medical condition – i.e., a progressive, degenerative or malignant condition that has placed the child’s life in jeopardy.

~I see it says if it's "progressive, degenerative, or malignant" qualifies you.
True everyone's spine degenerates over a period of years into adulthood. (not just Lupus patients) Lupus is not classified as malignant ie: cancer, tumors, etc.
So she must of qualified because she's progressing faster than most of us Lupus patients.(Renal failure perhps?)
I have had my symptoms since I was 16 yrs old, now I'm almost 49. Maybe we should start a foundation to those who have survived this long to treat them to a special day? Idea!  CandleSmilie

PS... I wonder why she has to go to her Dr. once a month for? That seems to be extreme.
I signed the comment box in hopes she does join us and we can ask her these questions, on behalf of the many other young members we have here so we can share with them~

Songofhearts
Full Seeker of Support

Fear is a lack of faith...

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 08:56:01 am »

Hi Kat,
Sorry I'm catching this one late.  Didn't read the article but she must have kidney transplant or renal failure or something extreme...  And yes, they should have the whole dang Central Valley Agricultural area that has been sprayed with posisons and toxins for years all given free passes to Disneyland for a day or something....   geez...

Not to minimize what this poor girl has been through or what her situation must be.  My neice received quite a bit from Make a Wish but she also had half her brain removed at Stanford and they didn't think she would survive it.  She did and paved the way for many others to now have that type of surgery.  She went thru hell and yet she is the most cheerful person I know....

Love YOU!  missing the warm sunny days there.  NOT missing being sprayed by airplanes or crop dusted...   lol   

Holly smiley

Holly (the original one)

"I think God puts me on my back so that I can look up more often..."
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 03:31:47 pm »

Hi Kat,
Sorry I'm catching this one late.  Didn't read the article but she must have kidney transplant or renal failure or something extreme...  And yes, they should have the whole dang Central Valley Agricultural area that has been sprayed with posisons and toxins for years all given free passes to Disneyland for a day or something....   geez...

Not to minimize what this poor girl has been through or what her situation must be.  My neice received quite a bit from Make a Wish but she also had half her brain removed at Stanford and they didn't think she would survive it.  She did and paved the way for many others to now have that type of surgery.  She went thru hell and yet she is the most cheerful person I know....

Love YOU!  missing the warm sunny days there.  NOT missing being sprayed by airplanes or crop dusted...   lol   

Holly smiley
Holly,  rose
You have this right about the toxins and poisons here in the agriculture in this valley.
Sadly, what was once our crops of corn, peaches, strawberries, etc is ow big box stores, homes for the "BATS" (bay area transit __) forgot the last word they use. But you know it's everyone who works in Frisco and living here making our small town what it is today...

I live off Floyd & Somerset.(right by the middle school)
Now remember how Coffee Rd used to end about this area?  Now you drive further down like your'e going to Riverbank and here is all these new box homes they all look alike and you have the box stores (WalMart, Taget, Home Depot, etc)
Long gone are the days of Mom & Pop stores ;(

Well you don't miss the weather as I type it's over 100* Tommorow at the picnic in Lodi it's going to be 105-106*
The Hershey's Chocolate festival is happening this weekend even tho they shut down the factory.
Plus this weekend is Calaveras frog jump. These things are still fun to do in the valley if it's not too hot and you can walk a distance.
I'm not sure if they still do the Riverbank WIne & CHeese Festival.
Graffitti Nights and parade is still done each each, my son is signed up with the local Kiwanis club and he cruises in his 1962 Chevy. But this year he has a new baby a 1963 Chevy , it's all original white & orange color.
It sat in a barn for many years and runs very well. He always wants me to go with him, so I can go through the parade and relive the good old cruising days .
(It's the only way you can cruise McHenry is if your'e in the parade)
I might this year. But not if it's 100 + degrees out.
LOL....
Talk soon, you rest up and keep us informed of your health!

Songofhearts
Full Seeker of Support

Fear is a lack of faith...

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 02:04:56 am »

bflybouncy

Awwwww Kat, you made me tear up with all the old memories and events.  I miss the good ol' Hughson "FRUIT AND NUT" festival... LOL   we always caught heck with that name!

But I miss everything.  I talked to my mom on the phone last nite and I can't believe what some of the "old timers" are dying of... face cancer, horrible diseases that are baffling the doctors, more cancer and autoimmune issues and of course, lots of Alzheimers, etc.

Just sad....  These folks were my best friends.  I grew up with them and their kids.  To know they are all dying of cancer and stuff is kinda tough to think of.

So while I miss the memories of the good old days, I am saddened by what is happening to a lot of the old farmers and founders of that area.

Hope you are feeling good!   I miss you!   Get out there and enjoy what festivals you can.

Am home on the oxygen.... feeling a little blue as it was a beautiful day.  Made me want to cry.   We have a huge International Festival here in SLC and my DH is at a booth serving up El Savadorian tamales and papoosas all weekend.

Love you!
Holly smiley

Holly (the original one)

"I think God puts me on my back so that I can look up more often..."
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 01:22:07 pm »

bflybouncy

Awwwww Kat, you made me tear up with all the old memories and events.  I miss the good ol' Hughson "FRUIT AND NUT" festival... LOL   we always caught heck with that name!

But I miss everything.  I talked to my mom on the phone last nite and I can't believe what some of the "old timers" are dying of... face cancer, horrible diseases that are baffling the doctors, more cancer and autoimmune issues and of course, lots of Alzheimers, etc.

Just sad....  These folks were my best friends.  I grew up with them and their kids.  To know they are all dying of cancer and stuff is kinda tough to think of.

So while I miss the memories of the good old days, I am saddened by what is happening to a lot of the old farmers and founders of that area.

Hope you are feeling good!   I miss you!   Get out there and enjoy what festivals you can.

Am home on the oxygen.... feeling a little blue as it was a beautiful day.  Made me want to cry.   We have a huge International Festival here in SLC and my DH is at a booth serving up El Savadorian tamales and papoosas all weekend.

Love you!
Holly smiley
((((HOLLY))))))
I'm sorry to hear you are back on oxygen.

What is the difference between Mexican & Salvadorian tamales? I ask because you would think I was of mexican decent by the love of the Mexican food. (We're not talking Taco Bell but the real thing!) Every week I have to have a giant Chili Colorado burrito (YUM! all meat on a giant flour tortilla) Tamales I only love if it tastes close to homemade as possible.
Frozen things I get for lunch to pop in the oven is shredded beef Taquitos to dip in salsa.
I make my own enchiladas smiley

And what are papooosa's? I guess I could Google it and find a recipe.

I had an old gf who was half Japaense and she made these YUMMY deep fried roll things... can't think of the names (It will come to me in a minute) LUMPIAS!!! Oh gosh I could pig out on those! One of my Halloween parties I gave, she made them all day with her Mom (Bless their hearts as it's so time consistant on making & rolling them up then deep frying them)
Oh I should make those, that's a sure winner for get togethers. Snack food with dips smiley

If you ever know if at a short time limit you might be out this way, I'm sure Kim, Heather, Dave & myself and my son can throw together a big BBQ .
We could meet up with you family & friends whoever you bring. We could go to Micke Grove.
We left at 7 am, he drove 80-85 and we were there within 30 min.
Coming home, well, you now California drivers, you'll all be going with the flow then SLAM ON THEIR BRAKES!!! That was joyful.
But the day you do get to spend talking and meeting others is WONDERFUl.
It makes you feel like you do have true friends that care and most of all , understand what you are going through.

I just hope one day you can or will be out here, even if you can come to my home, I have a pretty front court yard we can sit in , BBQ , and have a nice time.
Backyard is tropical, you might get board as I get excited talking about my Bananas , Guavas, Bromelaids (Pineapple) growing.
But yes one day I'd love to meet you and Sue too... where the heck has she been?
She's in my neck of the woods or if going to be. I'd love for her to come visit at the same time you are here.

So please keep in touch and let me know when or if your coming this way.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 01:23:00 pm by Admin » Logged

Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 01:27:50 pm »

Aw, Kathy thank you so much for sharing,I have chills all the way down....She is just adorable! what a cute girl....Poor thing I hate Lupus!
from www.modbee.com October 2007.

Battling Lupus

Rossana Olmos is a bubbly 18-year-old freshman at the University of California at Davis. She played center field for the Modesto Christian High School softball team, as well as with a traveling team. But her biggest challenge wasn't on the ballfield or in school, it was dealing with lupus.

Lupus, also known as systemic lupus erythematosus, or SLE, is a chronic disease of the immune system. Instead of serving its normal protective function, the immune system forms antibodies and cells that attack healthy tissues and organs.

Rossana was diagnosed when she was 15. The disease changed her life dramatically. She was no longer allowed exposure to the sun, and was suddenly sheltered from doing anything too tiring.

"Every month, I have to go to medical appointments, and every month I have to get my blood taken," she said. "Also, I never had to take medications every day, and now I have to do that."

Even with the restrictions that came with her diagnosis, Rossana continued playing softball during all four years of high school and stopped just recently because she was leaving for college, not because of lupus.

"Doing that kind of stuff (softball) kept my mind off of it, for the most part," she said.

Rossana is a true champion, said her longtime coach, Jeff Borges of Modesto Christian. "She is a fighter, and her true character came out (after she was diagnosed)," he said. "She didn't let lupus bother her, and she didn't use it as an excuse. We had to force her to rest at times."

Borges has known Rossana for eight years, both before and after her diagnosis.

"I learned to be more compassionate and not to take everything as a do-or-die situation because of Rossana ... ," he said. "She taught me that your health and life is more important than the athletics."

Because of her medical condition, Rossana was nominated to get a wish from the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Through a sponsorship from the Grocery Outlet on Oakdale Road, she got a new Apple laptop computer.

"They took me, my mom and dad and my brother by limo to the store, where they surprised me," Rosanna said. "All of the Grocery Outlet employees were there, and they were all clapping. I turned red because I was so overwhelmed."

Rossana and her family were taken to lunch at Chili's with the Make-A-Wish coordinators, then treated to a shopping spree at Vintage Faire Mall.

"Though I really liked the shopping part, the best part was seeing all of the people at the Grocery Outlet, which was really nice," said Rossana. "It made me feel really good."

With lupus, Rossana has good days and bad. During the week before she was to start college, she went for a checkup and was told that her lupus was flaring up, as the condition often does if a person is tired and stressed.

This led to four days of being in and out of the hospital for treatments and monitoring. With this episode in mind, Rossana and her family were worried about the college move.

"They wanted to keep me home, and that scared me because I wanted to come (to Davis)," she said. "It just scared me because it's so unpredictable. I think it's really hard for my family, because they worry about me."

Although Rossana is constantly faced with the ups and downs of living with lupus, she maintains a positive attitude.

"Even though her energy is sapped at times, she remains happy-go-lucky," Borges said. "She was an inspiration to all of the girls on the team, and to the coaching staff."

Victoria Pardini is a sophomore at Modesto High School and a member of The Bee's Teens in the Newsroom journalism program.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

© Page Contents, Layout, Graphics and Design All Copyrighted by Credited Artists and are Not Public Domain.

LupusMCTD Founder & Patient
Former Domestic Violence SURVIVOR
Kathy A. Patterson

Author of the Upcoming Memoir Book:
"Fighting From The Inside Out"..
A lupus patient fights the beast within her immune system and the beast at home....

e-Booklet filled with photos and videos of what abuse was, signs to look for,
where to turn to for help, and much more to help others like me...

For more information
Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233)

"The Meaning of the Words in the Second Amendment .... "That the people have a right to freedom of speech, and of writing, and publishing their sentiments;"

PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law
Photobucket
© 2008 LupusMCTD Foundation of America - All Rights Reserved
Est.November 11, 2005
"We Understand What You Are Going Through"™