Esophageal Stricture

(1/2) > >>

hpyrch:
Hello,
I have been suffering with esophageal stricture for many years. I go to the hospital about every six months and have my esophagus dilated with a baloon by endoscopy. I am wondering how many others are affected this way. How many people have had to change thier diets because of it?
Thanks,
Heidi

Adminஐﻬ:
Quote from: hpyrch on November 01, 2007, 04:25:26 pm

Hello,
I have been suffering with esophageal stricture for many years. I go to the hospital about every six months and have my esophagus dilated with a baloon by endoscopy. I am wondering how many others are affected this way. How many people have had to change thier diets because of it?
Thanks,
Heidi

Hey  Heidi,
Glad to have a real name, as I have been trying to figure out how to pronounce your screen name.

I don't have that problem, I am sorry you have it that it is so severe.
I just choke alot, I can't eat toast, crackers, anything like that or I have a choking/coughing fit. (is that anything like what your symptoms are?)
If so I have had this problem since I was a young girl. Two Doctors wanted to stick tubes down my throat but I am sooo scared and will not have anything stuck in , up or down any of my holes.  :ticked:
My only alternative is to eat soggy foods , like my crackers if I have them with soup or chili, I crush them up and let them soak up the liguids for flavors and I can swallow them just fine this way..

I pray you'll be OK, you sure have had alot on your plate recently. Any more news on your MVP? Hang in there,
We are here for you.
Kathy

sunnipearl:
 :wave:
              Heidi,I also have had that problem,to the point of being in the hospital as well..I have changed my diet...I can't eat a lot of things..I get to that point and cough till I throw up "Pardon me for saying that" but thats what happens to me..I can always tell when it's coming on to, I will have like a big lump there and have  a hard time even drinking water or anything like that. To keep me from getting it so bad I am on a reflux med, I forgot the name Brain fart! Um,,little purple pill is all I can think of with out going to get it.....I know nexium...I may have not spelled it right.. I had that endoscopy as well I have 2 almost 3 pockets to diverticulutis... So spicy and hot is out..I can have soups and things like that. No Milk what so ever and can not have any cheese so forth..( I do eat some cheese but suffer) If I buy the extreamly sharp I am ok...I can not eat pasta, or sauces or Pizza none of it.I eat very little and I should be so thin..But I am always swelled up with fluids...I do drink water but that will throw off my salts and potassium ,so I have to be careful at what I eat.. and how much water I drink,as my doctor always tell me to stop drinking so much,LOL,most tell you to drink more I am back ass wards ...Yes it is awful I hate it..But it's what I have to do...Coffee and soda will make me sick to if I have to much..So I crave my Pepsi but can't always have it girlsad I am sorry you have this it suxs...I am glad I hate Pizza anyway so thats that! LOL...Take care and God bless you and please let us know how you are okay?  smch Love Gail

Adminஐﻬ:
LUAW Thank you Sista Gail for helping Heidi with your experiances.   prplbtfy
I just Googled the medical name so others will know what this is and what it means (I didn't know)

Esophageal Strictures

About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by Kate Grossman, M.D.

An esophageal stricture is a gradual narrowing of the esophagus, which can lead to swallowing difficulties. The strictures are caused by scar tissue that builds up in the esophagus.
When the lining of the esophagus is damaged, scarring develops. When scarring occurs, the lining of the esophagus becomes stiff. In time, as this scar tissue continues to build up, the esophagus begins to narrow in that area. The result then is swallowing difficulties.

One of the conditions that can lead to esophageal strictures is gastroesophageal reflux disease. Excessive acid is refluxed from the stomach up into the esophagus. This causes an inflammation in the lower part of the esophagus. Scarring will result after repeated inflammatory injury and healing, re-injury and rehealing. This scarring will produce damaged tissue in the form of a ring that narrows the opening of the esophagus.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors of esophageal strictures:
Gastroesophageal reflux (GERD)
Prolonged use of a nasogastric tube
Ingestion of corrosive substances
Viral or bacterial infections
Injuries caused by endoscopes

Symptoms of Esophageal Strictures
Difficulty swallowing
Discomfort with swallowing
A felling that food gets stuck in the esophagus
Regurgitation of food
Weight loss

Diagnosis of Esophageal Strictures
A barium swallow. Patient will swallow barium and x-rays can be taken to show the narrowing of the esophagus.
An endoscopy exam. This narrow tube is inserted into the esophagus and it can show any narrowing of the esophagus.

Treatment of Esophageal Strictures
Dilation. The esophagus is stretched by the use of one of several methods. Two of the methods of dilation are performed by passing a dilator or air-filled balloon is passed through a endoscope. Repeated dilation may be necessary to prevent the stricture from returning.
Proton pump inhibitors, such as omeprazole, lansoprazole or rabeprazole, can keep strictures from returning.
Surgical treatment is rarely necessary. If is performed if a stricture can't be dilated enough to allow solid food to pass through. Surgery is also performed if repeated dilations do not keep these strictures from returning.

Prognosis For People with Esophageal Strictures
After treatment, a patient can usually go back to regular routines and diets.
The patient may develop the stricture again in the future.

Complications of Esophageal Strictures
Swallowing difficulties may keep the patient from getting enough fluids and nutrients.
Increased risk of regurgitated food, fluid, or vomit entering the lungs and cause choking or aspiration pneumonia.

sunnipearl:
Aw, (*(*(*(* Kathy )*)*)*)*)
                                                           Thank you so much darlink smke I could not of said it better myself..LOL..But that's what has happened to me,since they put me on this new med I am much,Much better..(*(*(*(*(* Heidi )*)*)*)*) I hope you get better....Praying for you..Love Me

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

© Page Contents, Layout, Graphics and Design All Copyrighted by Credited Artists and are Not Public Domain.

LupusMCTD Founder & Patient
Former Domestic Violence SURVIVOR
Kathy A. Patterson

Author of the Upcoming Memoir Book:
"Fighting From The Inside Out"..
A lupus patient fights the beast within her immune system and the beast at home....

e-Booklet filled with photos and videos of what abuse was, signs to look for,
where to turn to for help, and much more to help others like me...

For more information
Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233)

"The Meaning of the Words in the Second Amendment .... "That the people have a right to freedom of speech, and of writing, and publishing their sentiments;"

PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law
Photobucket
© 2008 LupusMCTD Foundation of America - All Rights Reserved
Est.November 11, 2005
"We Understand What You Are Going Through"™