Welcome To www.LupusMCTD.com
April 19, 2024, 07:17:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lupus International Urges Congress to Amend H.R. 6, the Energy Independence and  (Read 2835 times)
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« on: February 05, 2008, 08:26:27 pm »

Lupus International Urges Congress to Amend H.R. 6, the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007

Lupus International recently issued the following letter to their constituents nationwide.

February 5, 2008 -- Lupus International recently issued the following letter to their constituents nationwide:

Dear Lupus Awareness Advocate,

Congress recently passed and our President signed into law, H.R. 6, the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007. This bill states common incandescent light bulbs will begin being phased out by 2012. Congress has not considered all the ramifications of this bill, and unfortunately it will adversely affect many Americans. Their health and well-being will be compromised.

Forcing people to be energy conscientious at the expense of other’s good health is not constitutional and could create many legal issues at the expense of taxpayers. The exemption provisions, which were written into the bill, are too obtuse and inaccessible making it impossible for most anyone to take advantage of them.

Fluorescent and halogen lights, due to the ultraviolet rays that they emit, adversely affect many lupus patients. It is highly recommended that patients wear sunscreen to prevent a potentially life threatening “flare” of their condition. Lupus is an autoimmune disease. Exposure to ultraviolet light can stimulate the immune system, causing a “flare.” This “flare” can cause many complications of the illness including kidney failure, intense physical pain, neuropathy, migraines and a variety of other symptoms.

Exposure to ultraviolet light from fluorescent light bulbs, which are the only viable alternative permitted by the bill, is truly asking a great deal of someone in the sanctuary of ones own home, who is constantly protecting themselves outside or in their work environment.

Lupus International recognizes the importance of energy conservation. However, our government put into law a bill that would essentially make many Americans unhealthy.

According to the January 2008 issue of The New England Journal of Medicine, candidate environmental triggers of SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus) include ultraviolet light, demethylating drugs, and infectious or endogenous viruses or viral-like elements. In simple terms this also means that if you don’t have lupus the exposure to ultraviolet light emitted by the new acceptable fluorescent light bulbs can cause you to manifest lupus or related conditions.

Lupus International at this time asks you to read statements from candidates running in the presidential primaries. We asked each of them what their position was on the new law. Here are the responses from the candidates who are still running:

Democratic candidate Barack Obama supports updating federal lighting efficiency standards to ensure that new lighting technologies are phased into the marketplace. He supports legislation phasing out traditional incandescent light bulbs, and would also support an amendment to better protect those who would be medically adversely affected by the elimination of traditional incandescent light bulbs.

Republican John McCain, was not able to supply a formal statement, however, his policy advisors indicated this is a concern and that he is interested in protecting those affected by this bill.

Republican Ron Paul, “I was not able to be in Washington when the bill banning incandescent light bulbs was voted on; however, had I been able to vote on this bill, I certainly would have voted no. As president, I will work to repeal the ban on incandescent light bulbs. If I am not able to gather sufficient support in Congress for a repeal of the incandescent light bulb ban, my administration will work with the Lupus International Foundation, and other parties adversely affected by this outrageous, unconstitutional action by Congress, to mitigate the harm done by the ban”.

Lupus International did not receive responses from Democrat Hillary Clinton, Republican Mike Huckabee or Republican Mitt Romney.

All presidential primary candidates were contacted. Of those not currently in the race, only Democrat John Edwards expressed a willingness to help and support this issue.

Please take the time to sign the Lupus International petition to get the ENERGY AND INDEPENDENCE ACT OF 2007 AMENDED to make access and economic alternatives realistic for lupus patients and others affected by ultraviolet light.
http://www.lupusinternational.com/join/petition.aspx

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
www.LupusMCTD.com Represents:
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
2) Where HOPE is a WORK In Progress
3) Pay It Forward~Giving Back To The Future Lupus/MCTD Patients
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

© Page Contents, Layout, Graphics and Design All Copyrighted by Credited Artists and are Not Public Domain.

LupusMCTD Founder & Patient
Former Domestic Violence SURVIVOR
Kathy A. Patterson

Author of the Upcoming Memoir Book:
"Fighting From The Inside Out"..
A lupus patient fights the beast within her immune system and the beast at home....

e-Booklet filled with photos and videos of what abuse was, signs to look for,
where to turn to for help, and much more to help others like me...

For more information
Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233)

"The Meaning of the Words in the Second Amendment .... "That the people have a right to freedom of speech, and of writing, and publishing their sentiments;"

PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law
Photobucket
© 2008 LupusMCTD Foundation of America - All Rights Reserved
Est.November 11, 2005
"We Understand What You Are Going Through"™