Welcome To www.LupusMCTD.com
April 19, 2024, 12:02:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pros and Cons of Fibromyalgia Support Groups  (Read 5225 times)
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« on: March 09, 2008, 11:08:39 am »

Fibro is more common combined than anything esle practically such as a Mixed Connective Tissue Disorder, MS, Lupus, MG, Dystonia, Parkenson's, the whole shabang of Autoimmune Disorders. Fibromyalgia affects every 20 out of every 1000 people. That sure is a lot!

Here is what exactly Fibromyalgia is:
"The word fibromyalgia was first introduced in 1976. Fibromyalgia is derived from the Latin roots "fibro" (fibrous tissue), "my" (muscles), "al" (pain), and "gia" (condition of). Fibromyalgia was known most commonly by the misnomer fibrositis, the "itis" implying an inflammatory component. "

You'll see on "My Space", "You Tube", and personal sites how everyone wants to make their own little fibro family for support.That's great, a place for people who have Fibro. Remember, that's 20 out of every 1000 people are living with Fibromyalgia. (Some with or without other ailments)

But all these folks need a place to go find comfort or read up on any recent news or drug trials, look up for local support groups, look for local Drs who treat symptoms and so forth.

Here is a very intresting article on the pros and cons on these Fibro Groups.
This happens when it's an all too common "diease" when it's actually a name for the symptoms as clinically... Fibro is not a diease, rather symptoms see above for it's definition.

Trackback url

http://fibro-myalgia.com/73/fibromyalgia-support-groups/trackback/

More info on how prevalant Fibromyalgia symptoms are please read:
Do I have lupus or fibromyalgia ?
http://www.lupusmctd.com/index.php?topic=1785.0

Best Explanation
~Fibromyalgia ~
Fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) is characterized by widespread pain and fatigue. Fibromyalgia means pain in the muscles, ligaments and tendons - the fibrous tissues in the body. There is also a substantial symptom overlap between fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). Some experts even believe that fibromyalgia syndrome and chronic fatigue syndrome are one and the same. If you can remember what it felt like the last time you had the flu - exhaustion, every muscle feeling pulled and overworked, hypersensitive skin, etc. - then you have an idea of what fibromyalgia entails. As with MS however, FMS presents a wide range of symptoms which can wax and wane, and can differ from person to person.

~Who Gets Fibromyalgia?
Approximately 20 out of every 1000 people get this condition. Over 85% of these are women. Viral or bacterial infections, automobile accidents, or development of another disorder, such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus or hyperthyroidism can bring about the onset of fibromyalgia. There is a genetic component to this disease and a genetic predisposition, combined with a triggering event, may cause disease onset.

~Symptoms of fibromyalgia include, but are not limited to:
 Pain - muscular aching, burning throbbing, shooting, stabbing pain
  Irritable Bladder Syndrome
 Stiffness & pain - especially in morning  Dysmenorrhea (painful menstrual periods)
 Overwhelming or unusual fatigue
Cognitive or memory problems
 Sleep disorder
Cold sensitivity (Raynaud's phenomenon)
 Depression
Numbness and/or tingling sensations
 Irritable Bowel Syndrome
 Impaired coordination
 Chronic headaches  Dizziness
 Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction Syndrome (TMJD) - face & jaw pain  Multiple Chemical Sensitivity Syndrome - odors, noise, bright lights, medications, various foods, etc.
 Muscle twitching
Dry eyes and mouth

~Testing for Fibromyalgia
Because fibromyalgia is not considered a disease but rather a clinical invention to describe a chronic pain syndrome, there are no blood tests or x-rays which reliably diagnose fibromyalgia. In order to diagnose fibromyalgia, a physician must take a careful history and perform an examination which focuses on specific local areas of tenderness. These locations are called tender points. There are 18 specified tender points, and the patient must have a finding of pain (not just tenderness) in at least 11 of the 18 points, together with a history of widespread pain in all 4 quadrants of the body for 3 months or more. The doctor will also look at symptom history to determine whether the symptoms reported match the symptoms for FMS
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 12:16:49 pm by Admin » Logged

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
www.LupusMCTD.com Represents:
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
2) Where HOPE is a WORK In Progress
3) Pay It Forward~Giving Back To The Future Lupus/MCTD Patients
Bernadette
Jr. Seeker of Support

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 12:34:04 pm »

cheesy there are too many sites imo i stick to what site suits me. No drama and most of all not being in the same crowd as past groups where trouble is always a known factor  hpydnce i am very happy here  hpydnce
AnnieHasFibro
Full Seeker of Support

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 04:58:04 pm »

I wasn't impressed with that site as it has more advertising than anything .

As for other sites and groups there is too many that look the same,they copy each others work and information.Just look at my space and follow everyones links.  I get so sick of hearing about the spoon theory and this is the only site that doesn't repeat it LOL    smashclock and thank you for the reminder I did turn my clocks forward one hour

Annie has fibro 33 no kids and no husband
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

© Page Contents, Layout, Graphics and Design All Copyrighted by Credited Artists and are Not Public Domain.

LupusMCTD Founder & Patient
Former Domestic Violence SURVIVOR
Kathy A. Patterson

Author of the Upcoming Memoir Book:
"Fighting From The Inside Out"..
A lupus patient fights the beast within her immune system and the beast at home....

e-Booklet filled with photos and videos of what abuse was, signs to look for,
where to turn to for help, and much more to help others like me...

For more information
Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233)

"The Meaning of the Words in the Second Amendment .... "That the people have a right to freedom of speech, and of writing, and publishing their sentiments;"

PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law
Photobucket
© 2008 LupusMCTD Foundation of America - All Rights Reserved
Est.November 11, 2005
"We Understand What You Are Going Through"™