Welcome To www.LupusMCTD.com
March 28, 2024, 07:43:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lupus Symptoms  (Read 5969 times)
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« on: August 02, 2008, 01:46:20 am »

Lupus Symptoms

Although lupus can affect any part of the body, most people experience symptoms in only a few organs. The most common symptoms of people with lupus are listed below. Occurrences of particular symptoms happening are listed as percentages.

* Achy joints / arthralgia (95 percent)
    * Fever of more than 100 degrees F / 38 degrees C (90 percent)
    * Arthritis / swollen joints (90 percent)
    * Prolonged or extreme fatigue (81 percent)
    * Skin Rashes (74 percent)
    * Anemia (71 percent)
    * Kidney Involvement (50 percent)
    * Pain in the chest on deep breathing / pleurisy (45 percent)
    * Butterfly-shaped rash across the cheeks and nose (42 percent)
    * Sun or light sensitivity / photosensitivity (30 percent)
    * Hair loss (27 percent)
    * Abnormal blood clotting problems (20 percent)
    * Raynaud's phenomenon / fingers turning white and/or blue in the cold (17 percent)
    * Seizures (15 percent)
    * Mouth or nose ulcers (12 percent)

If you have several of these symptoms, see your doctor right away.

source:lupus.org
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 04:09:18 pm by Adminஐﻬ » Logged

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
www.LupusMCTD.com Represents:
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
2) Where HOPE is a WORK In Progress
3) Pay It Forward~Giving Back To The Future Lupus/MCTD Patients
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 06:11:29 pm »

Lupus Myocarditis

Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), an autoimmune disease, is truly a disease of symptoms. Its attacks on the body’s immune system can affect everything from the skin and joints to internal organs.

Complications from SLE affecting the heart are common in lupus patients. Lupus can trigger inflammation of the heart muscle (myocardium). When it does, the condition is called myocarditis, and occasionally lupus myocarditis.

Myocarditis:

Typically myocarditis is considered uncommon, and the result of any number of viral infections, though some bacterial and parasitic infections can lead to myocarditis. Adverse reactions to some medications might cause myocarditis, as well.

For lupus patients, myocarditis usually comes as a result of active lupus disease.

Myocarditis can be quite serious. Its effect on the heart –- inflamed and weakened muscle tissues –- can cause heart failure. The good news: Serious heart muscle disease is not common in SLE, according to the Lupus Foundation of America.

What the Doctor Will Look For:

One indicator your physician may notice prior to making a myocarditis diagnosis is inflammation of other muscle tissue.

Other symptoms or signs your doctor will look for include:

* History of preceding viral illness
    * Fever
    * Chest pain
    * Joint pain or swelling
    * Abnormal heartbeat
    * Fatigue
    * Shortness of breath
    * Leg swelling
    * Inability to lie flat
    * Fainting, often related to arrhythmias
    * Low urine output

Autopsy studies have revealed that some people with SLE may have evidence of myocarditis in the tissues even in the absence of symptoms.

For those who have symptoms or signs that are suggestive of myocarditis, your doctor may conduct any number of tests, including an electrocardiogram, chest x-ray, echocardiogram, blood work and heart muscle biopsy.

Treating Myocarditis:

If it is determined that you do have myocarditis associated with SLE, your doctor may prescribe one of a number of treatment options. Those options may include medication and change in lifestyle (less activity) and diet (lower salt intake).

Medicines familiar with lupus patients might include corticosteroids and immunosuppressive drugs. Depending on the strength of the heart muscle, your doctor may prescribe further medication to treat the symptoms of heart failure.

Prognosis depends on the cause and the individual patient. While full recovery is possible for some, others may experience permanent heart failure. And, unfortunately, for some the condition can be fatal.

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 04:41:14 am »

In response to a recent increase in media interest in lupus (ie: Michael Jackson) , the Lupus Foundation of America (LFA) is providing a fact sheet about the disease. For additional information, please visit the LFA website at www.lupus.org.

What is lupus?

Lupus is a chronic autoimmune disease in which the immune system is unbalanced, causing inflammation and tissue damage to virtually any tissue or organ in the body. Its health effects include skin lesions, heart attacks, strokes, seizures, miscarriages, and organ failure.

What are the symptoms of lupus?

The most common symptoms include severe joint pain and swelling, overwhelming fatigue, fevers, skin rashes, pain in the chest on deep breathing, hair loss, and sensitivity to ultraviolet light. Symptoms come and go and can change over time, and range from mild to life-threatening.

What are the different forms of lupus?

There are several forms of lupus, the most common being cutaneous and systemic. Cutaneous lupus is limited to the skin and is often identified by a rash or skin lesions that appears on sun-exposed areas of the body, such as the scalp, face, neck, hands, and arms. Cutaneous lupus accounts for approximately 10% of all cases. Systemic lupus is usually more severe and can affect almost any organ or system of the body, including the skin, joints, lungs, kidneys, heart, nervous system, and brain. Approximately 70% of lupus cases are systemic. In about half of these cases, a major organ will be affected.

Who develops lupus?

Ninety percent of the people with lupus are women. The disease develops most often between the ages of 15 and 44, although males and females of any age can be affected. Lupus is two to three times more common among African Americans, Hispanics/Latinos, Native Americans, and Asians, than among Caucasians. Based on several nationwide telephone surveys, the LFA estimates that approximately 1,500,000 Americans have a form of the disease.

What causes lupus?

The exact causes of lupus are unknown. Researchers believe that certain environmental factors play a role in triggering the disease in people who are genetically susceptible to developing lupus. These environmental triggers include infections, ultraviolet light, extreme stress, antibiotics and certain other drugs, and hormonal changes. Hormonal factors may explain why lupus occurs more frequently in females than in males. Despite some statements in the media recently, there is no known connection between childhood abuse and lupus. Lupus is NOT infectious, rare, or cancerous. It is not related to or like HIV/AIDS.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

© Page Contents, Layout, Graphics and Design All Copyrighted by Credited Artists and are Not Public Domain.

LupusMCTD Founder & Patient
Former Domestic Violence SURVIVOR
Kathy A. Patterson

Author of the Upcoming Memoir Book:
"Fighting From The Inside Out"..
A lupus patient fights the beast within her immune system and the beast at home....

e-Booklet filled with photos and videos of what abuse was, signs to look for,
where to turn to for help, and much more to help others like me...

For more information
Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233)

"The Meaning of the Words in the Second Amendment .... "That the people have a right to freedom of speech, and of writing, and publishing their sentiments;"

PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law
Photobucket
© 2008 LupusMCTD Foundation of America - All Rights Reserved
Est.November 11, 2005
"We Understand What You Are Going Through"™