Welcome To www.LupusMCTD.com
April 19, 2024, 10:48:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: January 1st, when Amendments to the Americans with Disabilities Act take effect  (Read 4139 times)
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« on: December 15, 2008, 08:22:11 pm »

The ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (signed into law on September 25, 2008):

http://edlabor.house.gov/issues/adaaa.shtml

January 1st, Amendments to the Americans with Disabilities Act take effect

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
www.LupusMCTD.com Represents:
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
2) Where HOPE is a WORK In Progress
3) Pay It Forward~Giving Back To The Future Lupus/MCTD Patients
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 10:57:18 am »

New Employment, Labor and Discrimination Laws in 2009
Tuesday, December 16th, 2008

Whether you are an employer or employee, you might be interested to know that new federal employment and discrimination laws are to become effective in January 2009. Perhaps you’d also like to know about the previously introduced employment, labor and discrimination laws that Congress is expected to reconsider after President-Elect Barack Obama takes office.

Technically, labor laws deal with employer-union relationships while employment laws deal with employer-employee relationships, but the terms are often used interchangeably. Discrimination laws are also referred to as antidiscrimination or anti-discrimination laws.
New Federal Employment Laws and Discrimination Laws Effective in 2009

Listed below are new federal employment laws, discrimination laws or related laws that are scheduled to become effective in January 2009.

Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA)

Amends the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), to better protect disabled American workers from employment discrimination. The ADAAA becomes effective on January 1, 2009.

Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Final Rule

A new final rule updates the FMLA regulations, to grant eligible workers the right to take up to 12 or 26 weeks of unpaid military family leave. The new FMLA final rule also clarifies certain family and medical leave rules for workers and employers, and changes FMLA rules based on decisions made by U.S. courts.

The final rule becomes effective on January 16, 2009.

Final Rule for Federal Contractors and E-Verify

President Bush signed an Executive Order in 2008 requiring Federal contractors to use the E-Verify System, to verify the employment eligibility of their workers as defined in the Executive Order.

The President’s Executive Order spawned a final rule to which Federal contractors must adhere effective January 15th, 2009. See Federal Contractors must use E-Verify for more information.
Federal Employment Laws, Labor Laws and Discrimination Laws Likely to be Reconsidered in 2009

Listed below are previously introduced federal employment laws, labor laws and discrimination laws that those in the know expect Congress to reconsider in 2009.

Employee Free Choice Act

Representative George Miller introduced this Act in early 2007, to amend the National Labor Relations Act to better enable employees to form, join or assist labor unions and to better curtail unfair labor practices. See Bill H.R.800 at the THOMAS Legislative Database for more information.

Fair Pay Restoration Act

Senator Edward Kennedy introduced the related bill in 2007 to reverse a U.S. Supreme Court ruling that made it more difficult for employees to file wage discrimination lawsuits. He also introduced the bill to amend Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 to make it more clear that wage discrimination is unlawful on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex or age.

Family Leave Insurance Act

The House of Representatives first considered this Act in April 2008. If Congress passes the Act (or a similar replacement act) in 2009, the new federal employment law will require certain employers in all states to provide paid family and medical leave benefits to eligible employees. See Family Leave Insurance Act of 2008 for more information.

Sexual Orientation Discrimination Law

In November 2007, the House of Representatives passed the Employment Non-Discrimination Act of 2007, which prohibited sex discrimination in employment on the basis of sexual orientation. But the historic Act died in the Senate.

Still, it’s a hot legislative topic; subsequently, Congress will likely reconsider the Act or introduce a replacement act in 2009, such as one that will amend Title VII to prohibit employment discrimination on the basis of either sexual orientation or gender identity. Several states have already enacted similar laws.

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
www.LupusMCTD.com Represents:
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
2) Where HOPE is a WORK In Progress
3) Pay It Forward~Giving Back To The Future Lupus/MCTD Patients
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

© Page Contents, Layout, Graphics and Design All Copyrighted by Credited Artists and are Not Public Domain.

LupusMCTD Founder & Patient
Former Domestic Violence SURVIVOR
Kathy A. Patterson

Author of the Upcoming Memoir Book:
"Fighting From The Inside Out"..
A lupus patient fights the beast within her immune system and the beast at home....

e-Booklet filled with photos and videos of what abuse was, signs to look for,
where to turn to for help, and much more to help others like me...

For more information
Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233)

"The Meaning of the Words in the Second Amendment .... "That the people have a right to freedom of speech, and of writing, and publishing their sentiments;"

PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law
Photobucket
© 2008 LupusMCTD Foundation of America - All Rights Reserved
Est.November 11, 2005
"We Understand What You Are Going Through"™