Welcome To www.LupusMCTD.com
April 19, 2024, 10:51:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fast Forward Treatment to People with MS by Funding Innovation During Hard Times  (Read 3806 times)
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« on: December 24, 2008, 01:21:36 pm »

Fast Forward, LLC and Apitope International NV Announce $1 Million Partnership for Development of ATX-MS-1467 for Multiple Sclerosis

December 23, 2008 – Apitope International NV, the autoimmune peptide therapy company, and Fast Forward, LLC, the National Multiple Sclerosis Society’s subsidiary devoted to bridging the gap between research and drug development, today announced a partnership to support Apitope’s proof of principle clinical trial of ATX-MS-1467. This peptide therapeutic vaccine is designed to target and prevent the abnormal pathological immune response in multiple sclerosis (MS).

The agreement with Apitope is the first in a series of partnerships between Fast Forward and early stage biotechnology companies. “We are pleased to partner with Apitope to accelerate the development of innovative therapies for MS,” said Dr. Timothy Coetzee, Fast Forward’s Executive Director. “ATX-MS-1467 has the potential to redirect the immune system in MS which is essential to minimizing the damage to the nervous system in this highly debilitating disease.” Adds Dr. Coetzee “We are concerned about the small number of therapies in development for MS relative to other diseases and the impact that the current economic climate will have on development of new treatments for people with MS. Fast Forward is committed to reversing this trend by deploying its resources to spur development of innovative MS therapies and bring them to market as quickly as possible.”

“Ironically, it was a fellowship from the US National MS Society that was the catalyst to devoting my life to MS research,” said Professor David Wraith, chief scientific officer and founder of Aptitope. “It is with great pride that I, together with Apitope, come back to a partnership with the Society for a potentially life altering therapy in people with multiple sclerosis.”

The National Multiple Sclerosis Society funds research in a range of scientific areas including immune mechanisms, genetics, nerve regeneration, and symptom managements. The agreement with Apitope is a part of the Society’s Fast Forward initiative through which Fast Forward will partner with early stage biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies to develop treatments, diagnostics, medical devices, and related technologies to treat, reverse, and ultimately cure MS. Under terms of the agreement, Fast Forward will provide Apitope with up to $1 million toward the Proof of Principle clinical trial of ATX-MS-1467. In addition, Fast Forward will receive warrants for purchase of shares in the company.

“The National MS Society’s support provides a strong independent validation of our approach to the treatment of MS,” said Dr. Keith Martin, CEO of Apitope. “We are very grateful for this funding from a world leader in MS research.”

Following more than 15 years of research by Prof Wraith and his team, ATX-MS-1467, which consists of four short peptides derived from myelin basic protein, a key autoantigen in MS, was taken into clinical trials in 2006. The therapy is a highly selective treatment for MS targeting the major histocompatability complex (MHC) class II molecule to regulate T cell activity. The company recently announced results from the initial clinical trial in secondary progressive MS patients, which indicated that the drug was safe and well tolerated with promising early evidence of efficacy.

About Fast Forward, LLC

Fast Forward, LLC is a nonprofit organization established by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society in order to accelerate the development of treatments for MS. Fast Forward will accomplish its mission by connecting university-based MS research with private-sector drug development and by funding small biotechnology/pharmaceutical companies to develop innovative new MS therapies and repurpose FDA-approved drugs as new treatments for MS. www.fastforward.org

About the National Multiple Sclerosis Society

MS is a chronic, unpredictable neurological disease that affects the central nervous system. It is thought to be an autoimmune disorder, meaning the immune system incorrectly attacks healthy tissue. Symptoms may be mild, such as numbness in the limbs, or severe, such as paralysis or loss of vision. These problems may be permanent or may come and go. The National MS Society addresses the challenges of each person affected by MS by funding cutting-edge research, driving change through advocacy, facilitating professional education, collaborating with MS organizations around the world, and providing programs and services designed to help people with MS and their families move their lives forward. We are people who want to do something about MS now, and are dedicated to achieving a world free of MS. Join the movement at www.nationalMSsociety.org.

About Apitope

Apitope International NV is a biopharmaceutical company with headquarters in Hasselt, Belgium and a subsidiary in Bristol, England. The Company is developing novel products to revolutionise the diagnosis and treatment of chronic autoimmune and allergic disorders. Apitope’s therapeutic peptide technology platform is based on established scientific evidence showing that soluble, synthetic peptides can reinstate tolerance and selectively attenuate pathological immune responses. The ApitopesTM (Antigen Processing Independent epiTOPES) inhibit the immune system's harmful attack on the body while preserving normal immune responses to harmful antigens, such as infections. Apitope’s portfolio includes novel peptide therapies for MS as well as other autoimmune diseases and common allergies. Apitope is also developing novel diagnostic products for the early detection of autoimmune diseases such as MS and RA.

Apitope is backed by LRM; Vesalius Biocapital; VINNOF; the University of Hasselt (UHasselt); The Wellcome Trust; The Daniels Trust and Sulis Seedcorn Fund.

For more information, please go to www.apitope.com

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
www.LupusMCTD.com Represents:
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
2) Where HOPE is a WORK In Progress
3) Pay It Forward~Giving Back To The Future Lupus/MCTD Patients
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

© Page Contents, Layout, Graphics and Design All Copyrighted by Credited Artists and are Not Public Domain.

LupusMCTD Founder & Patient
Former Domestic Violence SURVIVOR
Kathy A. Patterson

Author of the Upcoming Memoir Book:
"Fighting From The Inside Out"..
A lupus patient fights the beast within her immune system and the beast at home....

e-Booklet filled with photos and videos of what abuse was, signs to look for,
where to turn to for help, and much more to help others like me...

For more information
Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233)

"The Meaning of the Words in the Second Amendment .... "That the people have a right to freedom of speech, and of writing, and publishing their sentiments;"

PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law
Photobucket
© 2008 LupusMCTD Foundation of America - All Rights Reserved
Est.November 11, 2005
"We Understand What You Are Going Through"™