Welcome To www.LupusMCTD.com
April 18, 2024, 09:37:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Connective Tissue Disorders Collagen Disorders and Their Causes  (Read 5206 times)
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« on: February 18, 2009, 04:47:53 pm »

Connective Tissue Disorders
Collagen Disorders and Their Causes

The autoimmune connective tissue disorders include various organ-specific and systemic conditions such as lupus and Sjogren's that affect structural tissue.

Connective tissue disorders include a family of more than 200 different disorders that affect connective tissues. Connective tissue disorders are caused primarily by gene mutations affecting the production of tissue and by a number of different specific and overlapping autoimmune diseases.

In autoimmune connective tissue disorders, specific organs (organ-specific diseases) or multiple organs (systemic diseases) may be affected. Up until the late 70’s, most systemic or rheumatological autoimmune diseases were referred to as connective tissue diseases or collagen diseases. Today, connective tissue diseases are classified as either 1) autoimmune connective tissue disorders such as lupus disorders, rheumatoid arthritis, and dermatomyositis or 2) heritable connective tissue disorders (HCTDs) such as Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, epidermolysis bullosa, and Marfan syndrome caused by gene mutations. In the HCTDs, alterations in affected genes may change the structure and development of connective tissue in specific organs.

ஐﻬ Connective Tissue

Connective tissue is a glue-like material or matrix that connects the cells that make up the body’s tissues. Connective tissue gives the body’s tissues and organs strength, form, and flexibility. Connective tissue also provides nutrients to tissue and aids in the special functions of certain tissues. For instance, connective tissue in joints gives them the ability to move. Connective tissue is composed of dozens of proteins and compounds containing various combinations of protein and glucose. Connective tissues' component proteins include collagens, elastins, proteoglycans, and glycoproteins. Various combinations of these proteins are found in different tissues. For instance the connective tissue in ligaments is primarily composed of elastin. Connective tissue is found in many different organs, including the skin, bones, joints, heart, blood vessels, lungs, eyes and ears.
Autoimmune Connnective Tissue Disorders

The autoimmune connective tissue disorders include a number of specific conditions and overlap syndromes including:

* Rheumatoid arthritis (RA)

* Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE or lupus)

* Polymyositis

* Dermatomyositis

* Systemic sclerosis (scleroderma)

* Sjogren’s syndrome and Sjogren's subtypes

* Various forms of vasculitis including temporal arteritis, Wegener's granulomatosis, and central nervous system vasculitis

* Mixed connective tissue disease

* Undifferentiated connective tissue disease

* Raynaud’s syndrome and disease

* Lupus overlap syndromes

* Autoimmune overlap syndromes

ஐﻬ Disease Course and Symptoms

Females are more likely to be affected than males, and although the prime age is 30-50 years, people of all ages may be affected. Most of the autoimmune connective tissue disorders affect multiple tissues, and the blood vessels are the organs most often affected. Many of the specific autoimmune connective disorders tend to overlap or appear in conjunction with other connective tissue disorders. For instance, patients with SLE may have joint problems characteristically seen in rheumatoid arthritis. The autoimmune connective tissue disorders may develop slowly over many years or they may present abruptly and show rapid progression, and they're typically characterized by alternating periods of remission and flares.

Symptoms in autoimmune connective disorders may affect the function of specific organs such as the kidney involvement that often occurs in SLE or the joint pain characteristic of rheumatoid arthritis. Pain, inflammation, tenderness, dryness and irritation of mucous membranes, and rashes and hives are all prominent features.

Specific connective tissue disorders cause specific symptoms, and specific disorders are associated with the presence of specific antinuclear antibody patterns and circulating blood levels of rheumatoid factor. Symptoms, autoantibody test results, inflammatory blood markers, and imaging tests are used to diagnose specific conditions. However, antinuclear (ANA) test results are sometimes inconclusive and there are known pitfalls to ANA testing. When an absence of classic symptoms and autoantibody patterns make diagnosis difficult, patients are said to have undifferentiated connective tissue disease. Undifferentiated connective tissue disorders may eventually develop into classic connective tissue diseases or they may remain undefined.

Resource:

Thomas Medgser, Lupus in Overlap with Other Connective Tissue Diseases, Lupus Foundation of America, www.lupus.org/education/brochures/connective.html

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
www.LupusMCTD.com Represents:
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
2) Where HOPE is a WORK In Progress
3) Pay It Forward~Giving Back To The Future Lupus/MCTD Patients
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

© Page Contents, Layout, Graphics and Design All Copyrighted by Credited Artists and are Not Public Domain.

LupusMCTD Founder & Patient
Former Domestic Violence SURVIVOR
Kathy A. Patterson

Author of the Upcoming Memoir Book:
"Fighting From The Inside Out"..
A lupus patient fights the beast within her immune system and the beast at home....

e-Booklet filled with photos and videos of what abuse was, signs to look for,
where to turn to for help, and much more to help others like me...

For more information
Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233)

"The Meaning of the Words in the Second Amendment .... "That the people have a right to freedom of speech, and of writing, and publishing their sentiments;"

PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law
Photobucket
© 2008 LupusMCTD Foundation of America - All Rights Reserved
Est.November 11, 2005
"We Understand What You Are Going Through"™