Welcome To www.LupusMCTD.com
March 28, 2024, 06:59:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vitamin D Deficiency  (Read 5809 times)
Geoff
We're all in this together
Seeker of Support

« on: January 23, 2009, 03:14:50 am »

Hi to Kathy & all @ Lupus MCTD!

So sorry I've been missing for a few weeks - some call it the holiday season, but for me it's been quite hectic.

Anyway, I've just been wondering how many with lupus deal with Vitamin D issues.  I'm aware there are issues with taking too many supplements, as this can be dangerous and also should be under the supervision of a medical professional.

But I was also wondering if changes to the diet had helped - such as certain food groups.

Best Wishes to all again and Take Care!
Geoff
http://thewideworldoflupus.blogspot.com/

Geoff was diagnosed with cutaneous lupus after cycling across Australia in 2003.  He has since ridden 9018 miles around America to raise awareness for lupus, representing The Lupus Foundation of America and The Alliance for Lupus research.  Most recently, he's delivered speeches at lupus seminars in Australia,  created a worldwide blog and he's due to publish a number of books about his journey.  He continues to spread the word.  You're invited to come along for the ride!

Many thanks to Kathy for her support and a great site!
mflepoma
Seeker of Support

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 10:06:31 am »

Hi! In response to the Vitamin D I have been diagnosed with undefined connective tissue disorder and sjogren's and they just found my vit D to be 20.4 was giving me 50,000 un weekly for 2 months and I am just now theraputic.
kthompson
Seeker of Support

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 01:10:09 pm »

Hi.  I just joined this website yesterday and am not that familiar with it yet. I was just diagnosed with MCTD February 6, 2009. As you can see, this is all quite new to me. I didn't even know there was such a disease! I've been kind of reading through the threads and am trying to understand what it all means. I read on the internet that MCTD has signs and symptoms of Lupus, Scleroderma, and Polymyositis... does this mean they are familiar or you have all three of these diseases at once? As you can see, I'm quite confused and am looking for some answers, so if anyone has some that would be great!
Spudster
Seeker of Support

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 07:45:34 pm »

Hi.  In response to problems with Vit D deficiency, most people with Lupus/Mctd would have a problem with this as we get our Vit D from being out in the Sun.  So for us we need to take a supplement.  Most of you probably take predisolone too which saps Calcium from the bones so a good supplement to take is Caltrate Plus, as it contains the calcium, vit D, magnesium, zinc etc.  Just one a day should be great.  Another drug that also makes photosensitivity (sunlight/uv) worse is Methotrexate.  Hope this answers your question and helps.   nod
blacksapphire
Seeker of Support

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 04:39:36 pm »

My Vitamin D came back very low on my labs, too. I don't know if it is from the MCTD or if my body can't absorb it from my diet. My mom's Vitamin D came back low when she had some blood drawn for her physical, but other than that she's perfectly healthy. Supposedly we only need about 10-15 minutes of sunlight every day, which I get driving home from work.

"There must be quite a few things that a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them." -Sylvia Plath
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

© Page Contents, Layout, Graphics and Design All Copyrighted by Credited Artists and are Not Public Domain.

LupusMCTD Founder & Patient
Former Domestic Violence SURVIVOR
Kathy A. Patterson

Author of the Upcoming Memoir Book:
"Fighting From The Inside Out"..
A lupus patient fights the beast within her immune system and the beast at home....

e-Booklet filled with photos and videos of what abuse was, signs to look for,
where to turn to for help, and much more to help others like me...

For more information
Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233)

"The Meaning of the Words in the Second Amendment .... "That the people have a right to freedom of speech, and of writing, and publishing their sentiments;"

PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law
Photobucket
© 2008 LupusMCTD Foundation of America - All Rights Reserved
Est.November 11, 2005
"We Understand What You Are Going Through"™