Welcome To www.LupusMCTD.com
January 24, 2022, 11:43:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emma Rutkowski~Lupus patient fights back  (Read 3628 times)
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« on: May 18, 2009, 05:32:46 am »

Lupus patient fights back with vim
Emma Rutkowski of Hamburg, plans to fight “the wolf.” But don’t confuse her with Little Red Riding Hood.

Emma, a Buffalo Academy of the Sacred Heart senior, battles lupus—Latin for “wolf.” She has dedicated herself to founding a research facility in the future, focusing on auto-immune diseases, like lupus.

The 17-year-old is already on that path with an internship at the Hauptman-Woodward Medical Research Institute.

“I’m the type of person who has an immense amount of willpower. When there’s something I want, I try as hard as I can until I get it,” concedes Emma, who’s also volunteered at Hospice and Roswell Park Cancer Institute research labs.

“Yes, this disease has stopped me from doing certain things, such as staying out in the sun all day.”

Then there are instances of “feeling fatigued and having joint pain, most of the time,” adds Emma, who plans to earn a Ph. D. in immunology.

However, Emma points out that as “a young woman living with systemic lupus, I’ve become very interested in immunology and genetics. I’m obviously aware of the symptoms and treatments for the disease. But I want to know more about the disease on a molecular level.

“My mother also has systemic lupus, and I want to know how systemic lupus, and other auto-immune diseases, relate to the genetics of a certain group of people.” When Emma was diagnosed, her mom, Katharine Pulkownik, admits she felt “so depressed knowing that my daughter would have to go through what I have—pain, tests, medicines, feeling tired and sick. But I had to accept what God gave her, and tackle her disease the best way we knew how, too. What I’ve witnessed has amazed me.

“I look at Emma and wish I could have half the strength she has; she looks at me and wonders how I live with my lupus. I jokingly tell people my Emma will find a cure for all these auto-immune diseases—and I really think she will. Emma’s had many challenges trying to adjust to her chronic illness, but she’s come out a winner every time.”

Emma will study biology, with a concentration in immunology and genetics, this fall at Duquesne University.

Lupus is a puzzling, chronic, inflammatory illness in which the immune system can assault healthy tissues and organs. Patients can become so fatigued, sore and sick they can barely get out of bed. They may suffer a tell-tale butterfly-shaped rash on their faces. Symptoms can run from mild to severe, and mysteriously appear and disappear. Lupus, some researchers believe, might be increasing. However today with earlier diagnosis and careful treatment, in most cases it’s controllable.

Emma is the best proof of that. She’s won awards for her volunteer work. Participating in the Erie County Youth Leadership Program, she’s even reached out to others in need, in groups like Amnesty International. “I’m not sitting around, letting this disease take over,” she vows. “You only get one life.”

SOURCE: Google

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
www.LupusMCTD.com Represents:
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
2) Where HOPE is a WORK In Progress
3) Pay It Forward~Giving Back To The Future Lupus/MCTD Patients
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

© Page Contents, Layout, Graphics and Design All Copyrighted by Credited Artists and are Not Public Domain.

LupusMCTD Founder & Patient
Former Domestic Violence SURVIVOR
Kathy A. Patterson

Author of the Upcoming Memoir Book:
"Fighting From The Inside Out"..
A lupus patient fights the beast within her immune system and the beast at home....

e-Booklet filled with photos and videos of what abuse was, signs to look for,
where to turn to for help, and much more to help others like me...

For more information
Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233)

"The Meaning of the Words in the Second Amendment .... "That the people have a right to freedom of speech, and of writing, and publishing their sentiments;"

PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law
Photobucket
© 2008 LupusMCTD Foundation of America - All Rights Reserved
Est.November 11, 2005
"We Understand What You Are Going Through"™