Welcome To www.LupusMCTD.com
March 28, 2024, 07:03:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Discrimination?  (Read 5291 times)
LiquifiedSkittles
Seeker of Support

« on: July 16, 2009, 04:00:19 pm »

Hey there... A few of you may remember me from a while back with some issues I was having at work.. if not here's a short history. My name is Steph and I am 23 years old. I was diagnosed back and forth starting when I was 19.

Anywhoo... I've been working in a movie theatre, just keeping as quiet as I possibly can about my pain. As you all know, some days are just unbearable, and we must do the dredded call-in-sick. I don't do it often, but the past couple of weeks my disease has been leaving remission. I only call in when I know I will not be able to work at all. Which is very seldom.

I was at work today, and the pain just became unbearable, so I broke down and went to talk to my boss. She seemed extremely annoyed, because it's a movie theatre, and Harry Potter just opened. I felt terrible, but I knew if I were to stay there it would just get progressively worse. What I was asking was if I could be excused to see my Doctor, and find out if there was a way to keep my pain at bay so I could keep working. I called the doctor's office and was informed I wouldn't be able to get in until Monday. I told her this, and I even said I would be more than happy to work through the weekend if I could have just one of the days off, I said preferrably Friday because Saturday and Sunday would be the busiest. She was very stressed looking, and told me to at least come in Friday morning and see how I feel. I said okay, but didn't make any promises.

She later on called me into her office, informed me that she needed someone who could be there EVERY day, and took my badge, then told me I could come pick up my check tomorrow.

Is this not discrimination?
3sisters
Lupus patient with overlapping accessories
Newsletter Editor

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 01:46:41 am »

((((((Steph))))) I'm sorry that this happened to you.
 Yes, girl, this is discrimination.

Please check out this ADA (Americans with Disabilities) link on
Disability Discrimination:

http://www.eeoc.gov/types/ada.html

Steph, I am not a lawyer, but your employer could face some hefty legal problems for firing you behind your illness. Her hastey and ignorant actions will not look good for the company.  smilen  Shame on that boss! She obviously needs to be educated on  different employee populations.

smileysoapbox    Your boss is in for a new awareness, called a RUDE AWAKENING out of  the bondage of ignorance.   smileysoapbox

Contact the ADA for assistance ASAP!  Her actions are unlawful and unacceptable, Steph.

Good luck and keep us posted.
AND! I hope that your doctor can provide you some much needed relief soon!
Hang in there   litbflys
Gentle Hugs,
Kim

Living with NP-SLE/ MCTD and MS. Powered by the Indigenous 7th Sense and lots of meds... Living with an invisible illness sucks. But living with an UN-diagnosed and UN-treated illness REALLY sucks.
"Where HOPE is a Work in Progress™"
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 12:13:45 pm »

Hey there... A few of you may remember me from a while back with some issues I was having at work.. if not here's a short history. My name is Steph and I am 23 years old. I was diagnosed back and forth starting when I was 19.

Anywhoo... I've been working in a movie theatre, just keeping as quiet as I possibly can about my pain. As you all know, some days are just unbearable, and we must do the dredded call-in-sick. I don't do it often, but the past couple of weeks my disease has been leaving remission. I only call in when I know I will not be able to work at all. Which is very seldom.

I was at work today, and the pain just became unbearable, so I broke down and went to talk to my boss. She seemed extremely annoyed, because it's a movie theatre, and Harry Potter just opened. I felt terrible, but I knew if I were to stay there it would just get progressively worse. What I was asking was if I could be excused to see my Doctor, and find out if there was a way to keep my pain at bay so I could keep working. I called the doctor's office and was informed I wouldn't be able to get in until Monday. I told her this, and I even said I would be more than happy to work through the weekend if I could have just one of the days off, I said preferrably Friday because Saturday and Sunday would be the busiest. She was very stressed looking, and told me to at least come in Friday morning and see how I feel. I said okay, but didn't make any promises.

She later on called me into her office, informed me that she needed someone who could be there EVERY day, and took my badge, then told me I could come pick up my check tomorrow.

Is this not discrimination?
Hi Steph,
I remembered when you got this job, that was about the last time I talked with you.
Honey when this happened to my husband here is the steps we took and as of yesterday in court he was represented.
1) Here is California's website you need to file if you reside here. If not go to your state goverment page and get your link http://www.dfeh.ca.gov/DFEH/default/
It is called Dept. of Fair Employment and Housing.
2)File your claim. THey will do a follow phone interview with you.
3)If you are not satisfied with their final investigation, then get a lawyer (pro-bono) and ask for the *RIGHT TO SUE LETTER* Once you get that letter, you only then can get a lawyer. You MUST have filed with  Dept. of Fair Employment and Housing FIRST before ANY lawyer will take your case.
4)Sit back and let the lawyers fight it out back in forth with paperwork till they get tired and want to make you an offer. Again if you are not satisfied, tell your lawyer to take it to CIVIL COURT and file for UNLIMITED DAMAGES. That is when a good case can go into the millions.

I'm not saying you'll ever even get that, it takes a lot of damage on your half done to you, emotionally, physically mentally and finacially <sp>but it has to be proven in court you were damaged that bad.
I'm telling you exactly what we have been going through and as of yesterday was the first hearing between lawyers as of what the next step is going to be. This has been going on for about 2+ years now.
So hang in there, do what Kim suggested on ADA.. contact all disability rights groups or movements.

Keep us posted,
Will keep you in prayer,
Kathy

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
www.LupusMCTD.com Represents:
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
2) Where HOPE is a WORK In Progress
3) Pay It Forward~Giving Back To The Future Lupus/MCTD Patients
kyliehalladay
Seeker of Support

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 04:40:04 pm »

Hell yes that is discrimination!!!!! smileysoapbox

Kylie Halladay
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

© Page Contents, Layout, Graphics and Design All Copyrighted by Credited Artists and are Not Public Domain.

LupusMCTD Founder & Patient
Former Domestic Violence SURVIVOR
Kathy A. Patterson

Author of the Upcoming Memoir Book:
"Fighting From The Inside Out"..
A lupus patient fights the beast within her immune system and the beast at home....

e-Booklet filled with photos and videos of what abuse was, signs to look for,
where to turn to for help, and much more to help others like me...

For more information
Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233)

"The Meaning of the Words in the Second Amendment .... "That the people have a right to freedom of speech, and of writing, and publishing their sentiments;"

PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law
Photobucket
© 2008 LupusMCTD Foundation of America - All Rights Reserved
Est.November 11, 2005
"We Understand What You Are Going Through"™