Welcome To www.LupusMCTD.com
March 29, 2024, 06:06:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OMRF receives $26 million for two federal research grants  (Read 3356 times)
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« on: September 04, 2009, 01:08:59 pm »

OMRF receives $26 million for two federal research grants

9/4/2009

The Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation announced Sept. 3,2009 the National Institutes of Health has awarded two grants worth a total of $26.3 million for research into anthrax and to help train new scientists.

Each grant will allow scientists to continue research started in 2004 and 2005 and keep them working through 2014 on several interconnected projects.

In the first project, a $14.5 million grant from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, seven scientists will spend the next five years exploring the natural immune responses to Bacillus anthracis, the infectious agent that causes anthrax. 

"Inhalation anthrax is a dangerous disease with a mortality rate of more than 50 percent,” OMRF’s Mark Coggeshall, Ph.D., the principal investigator on the project, said. “We don't understand why the disease is so deadly. We want to learn everything about anthrax bacteria: how it gets from the lung to the blood, what happens when it’s in the blood, and how to produce and stop the bacteria with the right antibodies."

The grant covers three specific projects at OMRF:

•Coggeshall will study how components of the anthrax bacteria contribute to the sepsis-like features that infected people show.
•Judith James, M.D., Ph.D., will investigate antibody response to the anthrax vaccine to learn what constitutes a "good" antibody, who makes good antibodies, and whether antibodies gathered from vaccinated soldiers can protect animals from being infected by anthrax.
•John Harley, M.D., Ph.D., is scanning every gene in human DNA to see which gene or genes is present in those who make good antibodies after being vaccinated against anthrax.

COLLABORATIONS
The grant will also fund collaborations with scientists at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Boston University and the University of Chicago that will examine how anthrax spores move from the lung to the blood stream, test vaccine formulations and isolate individual antibody molecules from vaccinated people.

“Historically, researchers have focused on the anthrax bacteria themselves,” OMRF President Stephen Prescott, M.D., said “OMRF scientists decided, instead, to study how the human immune system forms—or fails to form—immune responses to those bacteria. That non-traditional approach now is paying off, and this additional funding should bring about incredible advances in our approach to treating anthrax infection.”

The form of anthrax used in this project, known as the Sterne strain, is not harmful to humans. This non-virulent strain lacks dangerous infectious segments of the anthrax molecule called plasmids and is commonly used to vaccinate livestock against the disease.

SECOND PROJECT
Harley serves as principal investigator on the second project, an $11.8 million grant from the National Center for Research Resources. The five-year grant, which was awarded under the Centers of Biomedical Research Excellence (COBRE) program, is devoted to recruiting and training new scientists.

Since joining OMRF in 1982, Harley has provided guidance to dozens of scientists who have established successful research careers under his tutelage. In 2006, he received the American College of Rheumatology’s Excellence in Investigative Mentoring award.

The COBRE grant will help build necessary infrastructure to enhance OMRF’s research capacity and competitiveness for National Institutes of Health grants. Mentoring scientists will work with up-and-coming researchers to study autoimmune diseases, illnesses such as lupus and multiple sclerosis in which the body turns the weapons of its immune system against itself.

COBRE funds will support these OMRF projects:

•Mary Beth Humphrey, M.D., Ph.D., will investigate how variants of the TNFAIP3 gene contribute to autoimmunity in lupus patients.
•Using an algorithm he designed, Jonathan Wren, Ph.D., will search for new gene interactions involved in immune cell movement, which is predicted to play a role in immune disorders.
•Kenneth Kaufman, Ph.D., will look for variations in genes related to lupus in African Americans.
•Courtney Gray-McGuire, Ph.D., will study the genetics of autoantibody production in the early stages of autoimmune disease.
•Amr Sawalha, M.D., will explore certain genetic variants and their physical manifestations in patients with lupus.
•Marta Alarcon, M.D., Ph.D., will look at particular gene variants found in lupus patients and determine how they affect signaling in B cells.

“Competition for these grants is fierce,” Prescott said. “For our scientists to win not just one, but two, grants of this caliber is a tremendous achievement. It speaks highly of OMRF’s research excellence, and we are very proud of the success our researchers have had in securing these awards.”

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
www.LupusMCTD.com Represents:
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
2) Where HOPE is a WORK In Progress
3) Pay It Forward~Giving Back To The Future Lupus/MCTD Patients
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

© Page Contents, Layout, Graphics and Design All Copyrighted by Credited Artists and are Not Public Domain.

LupusMCTD Founder & Patient
Former Domestic Violence SURVIVOR
Kathy A. Patterson

Author of the Upcoming Memoir Book:
"Fighting From The Inside Out"..
A lupus patient fights the beast within her immune system and the beast at home....

e-Booklet filled with photos and videos of what abuse was, signs to look for,
where to turn to for help, and much more to help others like me...

For more information
Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233)

"The Meaning of the Words in the Second Amendment .... "That the people have a right to freedom of speech, and of writing, and publishing their sentiments;"

PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law
Photobucket
© 2008 LupusMCTD Foundation of America - All Rights Reserved
Est.November 11, 2005
"We Understand What You Are Going Through"™