Welcome To www.LupusMCTD.com
April 19, 2024, 06:32:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PEARL-SC Phase 2b Clinical Study in Lupus With A-623  (Read 5154 times)
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« on: July 30, 2010, 08:30:54 am »

Anthera Initiates Expanded and Extended PEARL-SC Phase 2b Clinical Study in Lupus With A-623 - A Subcutaneous Dual Inhibitor of Membrane and Soluble B-Cell Activating Factor (BAFF or BLyS)

Jul. 29, 2010

Anthera Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ:ANTH) , a biopharmaceutical company developing drugs to treat serious diseases associated with inflammation, today announced it has initiated PEARL-SC, the Phase 2b study of A-623, a novel inhibitor of B-Cell Activating Factor, or BAFF, for the treatment of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (lupus). Lupus patients suffer from a chronic autoimmune disease, which often leads to severe skin rash, fatigue, joint pain, major organ complications, and cardiovascular disease.

PEARL-SC is a, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, Phase 2b clinical study that will enroll up to 600 patients in up to 60 centers worldwide. Patients will be randomized into three active treatment arms and one placebo treatment arm for a minimum of 24 weeks. The primary endpoint of the PEARL-SC study is clinical improvement at 24 weeks in the systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) responder index, a recently recognized FDA endpoint for demonstrating clinical efficacy. The SLE rates from the treated group will be pooled and compared to those from the placebo group. Secondary endpoints will include safety, improvement in other clinical assessment scores, patient response versus baseline disease severities, resolution of fatigue, steroid utilization, and time to flare. As previously announced, a blinded interim biomarker analysis will be conducted early in the study to establish the appropriate drug effect on B-Cells and potentially remove any arm that is not demonstrating a biologic effect.

"This improved PEARL-SC study represents a significant advancement in the study of A-623 for patients with lupus. We were pleased the FDA has endorsed a more meaningful study targeting a clinical endpoint which incorporates the latest knowledge of B-Cell modulation and potential impact on the various aspects of lupus," stated Paul Truex, Anthera's President and Chief Executive Officer.

"Recent clinical studies have provided hope that the treatment of lupus with BLyS inhibition can be significantly improved over currently available treatment options. The PEARL-SC study design includes insights from our Scientific Advisory Board and will provide more meaningful information about the potential of A-623 in lupus patients," stated Colin Hislop, M.D., Anthera's Chief Medical Officer. "By inhibiting both soluble and membrane bound forms of BAFF, A-623 could provide an additional therapeutic benefit in lupus with the convenience of subcutaneous dosing."

About B-Cell Activating Factor (BAFF or BLyS) and A-623

BAFF(or BLyS) has been associated with a wide range of B-Cell mediated autoimmune diseases, including systemic lupus erythematosus, lupus nephritis, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, Sjogren's Syndrome, Graves' Disease and others. Multiple clinical studies with other BAFF antagonists recently have reported on BAFF's potential positive role in treating lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. Anthera is advancing its development of A-623, a broad inhibitor of BAFF, to expand its potential clinical utility in autoimmune diseases. A-623 is a novel fusion protein called a peptibody and is distinct from an antibody. Anthera owns worldwide rights to A-623 in all potential indications.

About Anthera Pharmaceuticals

Anthera Pharmaceuticals is a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing products to treat serious diseases associated with inflammation, including cardiovascular and autoimmune diseases. Anthera has one Phase 3 clinical program, A-002, and two Phase 2 clinical programs, A-623 and A-001. A-002 and A-001 inhibit a novel enzyme target known as secretory phospholipase A2 (sPLA2). Elevated levels of sPLA2 have been implicated in a variety of acute inflammatory conditions, including acute coronary syndrome and acute chest syndrome, as well as chronic diseases such as stable coronary artery disease (CAD). Anthera's Phase 2 product candidate, A-623, targets elevated levels of B-lymphocyte stimulator (BAFF or BLyS), which has been associated with a variety of B-Cell mediated autoimmune diseases, including systemic lupus erythematosus (lupus). For more information, please visit www.anthera.com.

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
www.LupusMCTD.com Represents:
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
2) Where HOPE is a WORK In Progress
3) Pay It Forward~Giving Back To The Future Lupus/MCTD Patients
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

© Page Contents, Layout, Graphics and Design All Copyrighted by Credited Artists and are Not Public Domain.

LupusMCTD Founder & Patient
Former Domestic Violence SURVIVOR
Kathy A. Patterson

Author of the Upcoming Memoir Book:
"Fighting From The Inside Out"..
A lupus patient fights the beast within her immune system and the beast at home....

e-Booklet filled with photos and videos of what abuse was, signs to look for,
where to turn to for help, and much more to help others like me...

For more information
Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233)

"The Meaning of the Words in the Second Amendment .... "That the people have a right to freedom of speech, and of writing, and publishing their sentiments;"

PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law
Photobucket
© 2008 LupusMCTD Foundation of America - All Rights Reserved
Est.November 11, 2005
"We Understand What You Are Going Through"™