Welcome To www.LupusMCTD.com
April 18, 2024, 06:27:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New findings on multiple sclerosis -- immune cells also attack neurons directly  (Read 3535 times)
Adminஐﻬ
"Pay It Forward" ஐﻬ
Site Owner

LupusMCTD Founder ஐﻬ

« on: September 24, 2010, 01:56:06 pm »

New findings on multiple sclerosis -- immune cells also attack neurons directly

- Sep. 23, 2010
Researchers in Germany have gained new insight into how the immune system causes damage associated with multiple sclerosis (MS), an incurable neuroinflammatory disorder. Using imaging tools which enable investigation of processes in living organisms, they were able to show a direct interaction between immune cells and neurons which plays a significant role in neuronal injury. However, this direct interaction may respond to therapeutic intervention. The study by Dr. Volker Siffrin and Professor Dr. Frauke Zipp (formerly Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine, MDC, Berlin-Buch, now University Medical Center Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz) has now been published in the journal Immunity (DOI 10.1016/j.immuni.2010.08.018)*.

Multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune disease in which a person's own immune system attacks the central nervous system. Symptoms of the disease are variable depending on which nerves are affected, but often include muscle weakness, walking difficulties, numbness and visual disturbances. Research has shown that MS is caused by damage to the protective myelin sheath, an insulating substance that surrounds nerve processes and is critical for transmission of nerve impulses.

Research has also indicated that direct damage to neurons is prominent in early disease stages. "The contribution of direct neuronal damage to MS pathology has been debated since the first description of the disease," explained Professor Frauke Zipp, senior author of the study. "Although many different theories about possible underlying mechanisms have been proposed – such as neuron damage being a secondary effect of the disrupted myelin sheath – actual events leading to neural damage are not well understood."

To investigate processes in the living organisms, Dr. Zipp and her colleagues used two-photon laser scanning microscopy (TPLSM), with which they studied the role immune cells play in neuronal damage in mice with experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE), an animal model of MS. They observed direct synapse-like interactions between immune cells and neurons.

Immune cells called Th17 cells, which have been linked to autoimmune inflammation, induced elevated calcium levels in the neurons, which in the long run are toxic to the cells. Normally, calcium within the neuron plays a crucial role in exciting nerve cells as well as muscle cells.

This is significant because fluctuations in neuronal intracellular calcium levels that are linked to cell injury are partially reversible when the researchers expose the lesions of the animals to compounds used to treat excitotoxicity.

These results highlight a specific interaction between the immune system and the nervous system, implicating direct neuronal damage in autoimmune-mediated inflammation. "Our use of in vivo imaging during disease has led to the characterization of neuronal dysfunction as early and potentially reversible, and suggests that immune-mediated disturbances of the neurons themselves contribute to multiple sclerosis, in addition to interruptions in nerve cell transmission as a result of changes to the myelin sheath," Professor Zipp concluded.

"Furthermore, immune-mediated reversible calcium increases in neurons are a potential target for future therapeutics." However, it will take many years to find out if this is a strategy which will work for treating MS.[/b]

###

*In vivo imaging of partially reversible Th17 cell-induced neuronal dysfunction in the course of encephalomyelitis Volker Siffrin,1,2* Helena Radbruch,2,3* Robert Glumm,2,3 Raluca Niesner,2,3 Magdalena Paterka,2 Josephine Herz,2,3 Tina Leuenberger,2 Sabrina M. Lehmann, 4 Sarah Luenstedt,2,3 Jan Leo Rinnenthal,2 Gregor Laube,4 Hervé Luche,5 Seija Lehnardt,4 Hans-Joerg Fehling,5 Oliver Griesbeck,6 Frauke Zipp1,2

* equal contribution
1 Neurology Department, University Medical Center Mainz, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, 55131 Mainz, Germany
2 Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine Berlin-Buch, 13125 Berlin, Germany
3 Charité – University Medical Center Berlin, 10117 Berlin, Germany
4 Institute of Cell Biology and Neurobiology, Charité - University Medicine Berlin, 10117 Berlin, Germany
5 Institute of Immunology, University Clinics Ulm, Ulm, Germany
6 Max Planck Institute of Neurobiology, 82152 Martinsried, Germany

*Correspondence: frauke.zipp@unimedizin-mainz.de (F.Z.), siffrinv@gmx.de (V.S.)

A photo and a film can be downloaded from the Internet at: http://www.mdc-berlin.de/en/news/2010/20100921-new_findings_on_multiple_sclerosis_-_immun/index.html

Barbara Bachtler
Press and Public Affairs
Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine (MDC) Berlin-Buch
Robert-Rössle-Straße 10
13125 Berlin, Germany
Phone: +49 (0) 30 94 06 - 38 96
Fax: +49 (0) 30 94 06 - 38 33
e-mail: presse@mdc-berlin.de
http://www.mdc-berlin.de/

Dr. Renée Dillinger-Reiter
Communication and Press
University Medical Center Mainz
Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz
Langenbeckstraße 1
55131 Mainz , Germany
Phone +49 (0) 6131 17-7428
Fax +49 (0) 6131 17-3496
e-mail: renee.dillinger-reiter@unimedizin-mainz.de
www.unimedizin-mainz.de

bachtler@mdc-berlin.de
49-309-406-3896
Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres
PRESS RELEASE

I look normal, as I have an "Invisible Illness". You can not catch it, you can not see it. It's called Lupus.My body is attacking itself on the inside.
www.LupusMCTD.com Represents:
1) We are patients helping researchers build a future for the lives of others...
2) Where HOPE is a WORK In Progress
3) Pay It Forward~Giving Back To The Future Lupus/MCTD Patients
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

© Page Contents, Layout, Graphics and Design All Copyrighted by Credited Artists and are Not Public Domain.

LupusMCTD Founder & Patient
Former Domestic Violence SURVIVOR
Kathy A. Patterson

Author of the Upcoming Memoir Book:
"Fighting From The Inside Out"..
A lupus patient fights the beast within her immune system and the beast at home....

e-Booklet filled with photos and videos of what abuse was, signs to look for,
where to turn to for help, and much more to help others like me...

For more information
Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233)

"The Meaning of the Words in the Second Amendment .... "That the people have a right to freedom of speech, and of writing, and publishing their sentiments;"

PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law
Photobucket
© 2008 LupusMCTD Foundation of America - All Rights Reserved
Est.November 11, 2005
"We Understand What You Are Going Through"™